Where to dive? North of Van, South of Port Hardy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

threeopus3

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend and I will be heading off next weekend and are hoping to get some dives in. We have a car and a flexible schedule and I am wondering where a great place to go diving would be.

Current thinking is that Powell River looks good. Port Hardy also looks great, but we don't want to spend that long driving (we'll be leaving from Van).

Does anyone have a reco on other regions that would be worth checking out?

Other considerations:
- My friend hasn't been diving for about five years, so we want to keep it shallow
- We'll be in 7mm wetsuits, not drysuits
- We'll be making it to Tofino. How does Broken Island Group diving compare with Powell River?

Thanks for any help at all,

Kent

Thanks for the responses.

So, is it fair to say that there is not one particularly vibrant region in which to dive? One can expect fairly even dive quality across the coast?

Discovery Pass is probably the most vibrant without going too far north. But if your buddy hasn't dived in 5 years, the current might be a bit challenging. there a re a few sites like Copper Cliffs that are a bit more forgiving. All are boat dives or advanced shore dives you should have a guide for.
Good luck,
U/O

Hi I have both betty pratt- johnson books. 141 dives and 99 dives i could sell the two for $24 plus shipping. I am in calgary so shipping would be quick. I have used both books and found them to be great for the info in them. Both books are in good condition. As far as locations to go i like the campbell river area for the shore diving and there is camping on quadra island. Port hardy does not offer as good of shore diving as campbell river.

If you dont want to go too far, hit Salt Spring island and dive Active Pass, I dove it not to long ago and the life was very abundant. The dive shop has a customised zodiac with ladder and it hauls butt. Very comfortable for a zodiac.

Just to follow up with my post, I ended up diving in Clayoquot Sound out of Tofino. I did two dives, and they were my first dives in cold water.

I was really happy with the quality and quantity of life. I was happy to see real reefs - the ocean floor was teaming with life. We saw: a large octopus, wolf eel, loads of crab, large nudibrancs, large cod, starfish, oysters, anemone, sponges, rock fish...the list goes on. The dives were really good.

We dove with Ocean Planet Adventures. They ran very organized dives. There was a divemaster for my buddy and I who ran a quick refresher for my buddy, there was no rush, they were attentive... Overall, a very good operation that I hope succeeds. On the other hand, I paid $200 for two dives. Far and away the most expensive dives that I have ever done and if I was back in the area I would probably not dive with them again due to the price. For a one time expedition into the waters of BC, though, they provided a great operation.

All y'all who live out there are very lucky.

Just to follow up with my post, I ended up diving in Clayoquot Sound out of Tofino. I did two dives, and they were my first dives in cold water.

I was really happy with the quality and quantity of life. I was happy to see real reefs - the ocean floor was teaming with life. We saw: a large octopus, wolf eel, loads of crab, large nudibrancs, large cod, starfish, oysters, anemone, sponges, rock fish...the list goes on. The dives were really good.

We dove with Ocean Planet Adventures. They ran very organized dives. There was a divemaster for my buddy and I who ran a quick refresher for my buddy, there was no rush, they were attentive... Overall, a very good operation that I hope succeeds. On the other hand, I paid $200 for two dives. Far and away the most expensive dives that I have ever done and if I was back in the area I would probably not dive with them again due to the price. For a one time expedition into the waters of BC, though, they provided a great operation.

All y'all who live out there are very lucky.

I am glad you had a good time. Every time I head to Tofino I have a surfboard not my dive gear...I might just have to change that.

Did the $200 include rental?

Thanks for the report,
U/O

All gear was included in the $200. Ocean Adventures only takes out 4 people at a time, and I assume that the winter is a slow season for them, and so I can understand why they might charge a bit more. In any case, Andy is the name of the guy who runs the shop. He has a good crew and a good operation.

Thanks for the info that you provided, Ogre. I'll make it to Discovery pass some time.

Back
Top Bottom