Where to dive Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning my next trip and not sure where to start.

I may be flying into Manila or I could come in via Jakarta Indonesia(diving in Bali along the way) to another location. I have a friend in Surigao ATM but I don't have to visit. I've enjoyed diving around Bali and nearby islands and don't mind staying somewhere with day trips out to dive sites like I do with Bali or head to a small island with lots of nearby dives like Gili.

I really enjoyed drift diving in moderate current but pretty much anything that gets me in clear water is great.

What are some recommendations. I will likely try for about 6 - 8 days of diving over 2 weeks but I don't have squeeze everything into on trip I just want a feel for diving the Phillipines as I can return relatively easily.

There is at least one dive operator in Surigao but the diving is very ordinary by Pinoy's standard.
Malapascua is very nice but there is absolutely nothing to do above water and getting there is not easy(cheaply).
Anilao is well known for macro but you are more or less stuck in the resort during the whole time.
Across the channel from Anilao is Puerto Galera which might suit you. The cost is a lot lower than Anilao. Contact Frontier Divers or South Sea Divers. Both places do not offer accommodation but surely they can fix you up according to your budget.
Moalboal + Dauin. Extra domestic flight is required(same as Malapascua) if entered through Manila. But if you fly in into Cebu City then Moalboal is only 2-3 hrs away by public bus.

The area of Southern Visayas is one of the best of Philippines. Each area/ island has its own underwater life.

Have a look to the following infographic which will be more helpful to decide where to go!
You can also have a look to our Philippine Siren Liveaboard trip blogs and read more about those destinations!

20108341_1416470908440443_3500963710068069981_n.png

Traveling the Philippines is generally cheap and straightforward, but not comfortable. Malapascua is just a bus ride and a boat from Cebu. Sharks, not much else.

Buy Cebu pacific flights (they won't show up in most search engines) well in advance from their website, they can be very affordable.

Bohol (Panglao) with Moalboal thrown in is probably the best option for a mix of diving and land activities.

Liveaboards are an option, but generally not necessary other than for the Apo reef, maybe some other places. The country is fairly accommodating.

Haven't been nearly everywhere, lots of other options too.

Thanks for ideas. I live in Darwin and Bali is my 'local' diving so places like the Philippines are likely to be a yearly trip if I find the right diving. Budget wise think middle class holiday. I mostly stay at cheaper 4* or better 3* places in bali. I do use a mid priced full service dive ops.

Mass tourism hasn't reach Philippines so accommodation selection in most diving destinations is very limited. You will also find out that even eating out is NOT an option in some places!

Some places. The big ones like Subic bay, Dumaguete or even Malapascua (mile wide island with five or six villages) have a choice of accommodation and dining.
But anything above 1* tends to be concentrated on the one main beach per destination, or be standalone. Just how the place works.
Generally IMO slumming it somewhat (not hardcore backpacking) is part of the Philippines experience, you don't get as separated from the country around you. But there are even luxury options in top destinations.

Kindly consider a trip to Puerto Galera, 3/4 hours by van and boat from Manila and has some of the most varied diving in the Philippines. There is plenty of great accommodation to chose from.

You are welcome to check us out at www.mvdive.com or www.facebook.com/marcovincentdiveresort

I hope that you have a great trip wherever you decide.The Philippines rocks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom