where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

refjef

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going on a cruise and will be stopping at Roatan, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am thinking of diving on Roatan. We are doing a snorkling trip on Grand Cayman. My wife is a non diver.
Any suggestions on 1. where to dive and 2 which dive operator to use?
JR:D

I am also doing this same cruise... but lime inclused Belize too. I'm very interested to hear any recommendations on operators as well. I have read that at some of these destinations it's best to go with the cruises dive excursion (where they pick you up at the cruise ship)... but for other locations, it's best to go to a LDS. I obviously prefer to give business to a LDS. Anyone got any advice for REFJEF or me?

Barefoot Divers has a cruise program on Roatan. If you're docking at Mahogany Bay (Carnival and others) they're 5mins. by cab away. Even if you dock in Coxen Hole, they're probably still closest. We dove with them a couple years ago, good people, good boats, they really do mean "valet" diving. Cruise Ship Shore Excursions, Roatan 5 Star PADI Dive Shop

The cruise operator for some cruise lines (Princess etc..) is Anthony's Key Resort. They're about 1/2 hr. across the island so will shuttle you both ways. At certain times during the winter, their North side location can get blown out. The south typically doesn't have that problem.

Another option is Subway Watersports - they offer a cruise excursion. I know nothing about them except someone mentioned they provide free p/u.

There's a lot of options on Cayman. If you like big boats/lots of divers then go with Don Fosters - the cruise operator in Georgetown. If not, book Off the Wall or Wall to Wall through Lobster Pot Dive Center - they both do 8 divers max. You can also shore dive there - Eden Rock is walking distance from the cruise dock or Sunset House just 5mins. by cab away. Eden Rock was kind of tired looking when we were there a few years ago - I doubt it's any better - too many divers for too many years. Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site - Diving has links to these and other options. Afaik you're still tendered off the ship in GC so you might allow time for that.

All of this is discussed in much greater detail continually in the Cruises forum.

I did that same cruise two years ago with carnival and took the ships excursions as they were two that I would have picked anyway. Roatan used Anthony's Key, Grand Cayman Don Foster, Belize we did pick out our own which was with CoralBreeze/hammerhead. We dove again earlier this year and we used the carnival excursions for Belize and they were fine, but right off hand i can't remember who it was.
here is my review of the cruise I took same as you going to those ports.
Valor Review 11/29/08 & scuba diving - Cruise Critic Message Boards

maybe this will help and you'll have a great cruise!

Back
Top Bottom