Where to do a buoyancy check in Denver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortis65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have some new equipement for a dive trip that I'm planning to do up to the Pacific Northwest. 7mm full suit with Hooded vest.

I'm getting the suit from scuba toys, so I'm wondering where I should do a boyancy check before I head out to the PNW? I know that fresh vs salt will change things a bunch, but 7mm + 7mm is a bigger difference from my 3mm shorty.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.

I've considered Aurora and Chatfield. Rent a tank and lots of weights, and give it a shot with a buddy standing by, or, taking one of the tuneup classes, and let it do double duty.

Thanks.

Howdy.

I wear 22lb local in freshwater with the following:
7mm
Hood
Gloves

I weigh about 230lb.

I just did saltwater in the same setup, but with really thick gloves, and wore 28lb. Probably could have dropped a couple, but still swam down to get underwater on the first two dives.

Hope this helps.

I have a couple of tanks and and about 30lb of weights.

Will probably dive Aurora again soon. When are you going to the Northwest?

-Justin

Most of the tuneup classes I have taken have been in pools, not in open water. Not sure if any of the LDS do them in Aurora or Chatfield. You could take PPB with the LDS and they would certainly provide you the tanks and weights. At least A1 did when I did for mine in Chatfield.

Not sure if it would be what your looking for but you may want to contact Tortuga Bay in Greeley. They have a saltwater pool, and I would imagine be willing to work with you.

The rule for salt water is to add approx 6lbs.

You can do you weight check at Chatfield, at Aurora, or at a pool. I would think a pool would be the easiest, but you maybe a bit warm!

I know A1 has pool times available, but you need to call to see when, and you may have to pay a small fee. Other LDS with their own pools also rent time. Some community pools allow divers to use a small section of their pool, but I have no idea when/where.

7mm+7mm? Did you consider a semi-dry? That is a LOT of wetsuit to weight! :D

I'm heading up there the first week of August.

I did consider semi-dry, and I'm thinking that the reading that I've done on the Bare Arctic suggest that it is pretty close. More of a semi-wet :) .

I'm told by everyone that I've spoken to that 7mm full suit and hood is a minimum as water temp is expected to be 58 - 62 F, and that I should seriously consider a vest. I've got the Bare 7mm arctic full suit with the arctic 7mm vest with integrated hood.

I've checked with my local pool, and they are okay with everything but a tank.

I'll give A1 a call and see if they have pool time to do a check, and rent an 500psi tank and weights from them.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm told by everyone that I've spoken to that 7mm full suit and hood is a minimum as water temp is expected to be 58 - 62 F, and that I should seriously consider a vest. I've got the Bare 7mm arctic full suit with the arctic 7mm vest with integrated hood.

58-62F water temps are VERY comfortable in a 7mm suit. No additional protection is required other than hood or gloves.

If you doubt this read on the RMO annual Meet, Greet, Dive, Eat thread as a few of the divers were wearing 7mm wetsuits, and the temp was... 58F.

I was diving with no hood or gloves. This of course depends on the individual as well.

Here is a basic chart to use as a starting point:
Exposure Suit Comfort Zones
Water temp Thickness recommended
75-85F 1/16" (1.6mm) neoprene, Lycra, Polartec
70-85F 1/8" (3mm) neoprene
65-75F 3/16" (5mm) neoprene
50-70F 1/4" (6.5mm~7mm) neoprene

Don't scoff too much at the semi-drys. While I believe if you can't do it in a 3mm, do it dry, the semi-dry's are about the most comfortable suit you will find that is not dry. Yes, I briefly owned one.

My whimpy chart: (Being cold sucks!)
Above 85 swim suit
83 - 85 2mm shorty
80 - 82 3mm full
77 - 79 5mm full
68 - 78 7mm full
57 - 67 7mm full with 5mm hooded vest
50 - 57 7mm semidry and hood
Below 50 Drysuit ( I use a drysuit for anything below 70.)

At those temps a 7mm should be great. I've comfortably done 60 in a 7mm Shorty. 2 weeks ago I did 42 with the 7mm shorty over a 7mm farmer john. The next suit I get I'm looking at a semi dry 5 or 7mm so I can get rid of some of the lead I have to take. This weekend I'm helping with a cadaver do training, and will be just sitting on the bottom about 20 feet down so I'll use the same setup I had 2 weeks ago and just over weight myself a bit so I can stay solid a bit easier. 36# should do just fine again. I will be adding a hood though just to be a bit more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom