Where to find quality used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a major discussion in ScubaBoard about a shop using those techniques. The woman who initiated the thread talked about how she came in to inquire about scuba instruction, and then, over a couple glasses of wine with the owner, decided to buy the full set of gear before class, thinking it was all refundable. She did not finish the first pool session before she decided scuba was not for her, and she was shocked to find none of it was refundable. She was most upset about the rebreather she could not return.

I'm a cynic and I have to admit I didn't see that one coming.

This is a strategy promoted in a scuba marketing workshop I attended, a workshop given by the head of a well known agency. Much of the workshop was spent teaching how to talk students into buying gear before class, even telling them the money was fully refundable if they change their mind. (Small print--you have to change your mind before you use it in the pool.) If you could not get them to buy it before the class started, there were methods to get them to make the purchase before the class ended.

There was a major discussion in ScubaBoard about a shop using those techniques. The woman who initiated the thread talked about how she came in to inquire about scuba instruction, and then, over a couple glasses of wine with the owner, decided to buy the full set of gear before class, thinking it was all refundable. She did not finish the first pool session before she decided scuba was not for her, and she was shocked to find none of it was refundable. She was most upset about the rebreather she could not return.

SSI famous for this technique.

Taken from their NASDS roots.

SSI famous for this technique.

Taken from their NASDS roots.
Exactly--on both points.

Reactions: mdb
Rebreather? As in CCR? Sold to someone who has never done a single dive before? :eek:
Yes--sold in fact to someone who had never started an OW class before. She did her very first pool session with the rebreather, which meant she could not return it.

It was quite a thread. In the end, the pressure on the shop from the thread forced them to take the equipment back.

Yes--sold in fact to someone who had never started an OW class before. She did her very first pool session with the rebreather, which meant she could not return it.

It was quite a thread. In the end, the pressure on the shop from the thread forced them to take the equipment back.

The shop in question is infamous for its "custom drysuits"
and CCR sales to students.

No refunds.

They are still getting away with their scams and still a SSI store.

So much for ethics.

Last edited:
I'm looking for places to buy quality used equipment. I'm not looking for the greatest deal ever. I buy low mileage, great condition used cars from CarMax and save 20% vs. new. I have never had a problem.

Looking for the same as I go to replace some 25 year old equipment that has recalls and can't be serviced.

So we have:
ScubaBoard.com classifieds
eBay
Craigslist (hard to figure out how to buy safely out of town)

Dive Shop:
Discount Divers Supply

If you know other could you post them here? Thanks in advance.

All of the above. The key however is knowledge and patience. Check frequently, at least daily.
eBay: determine what you are willing to pay and don't go above that price. I personally wait until the last 3 seconds to place my bid. If I place bids early it just starts the ball rolling and the price usually goes to high. You will lose more than you win but eventually you get a great deal.
I got a Bare Curve BCD a couple months ago, brand new (old stock) for $110 US for my daughter.

I have kijiji locally which has been great.
I picked up 2 133 faber (5 years old) for $500 for both with 100 fills thrown in a couple years ago.
I got a set of Aqua Lung Legend regs with console and matrix II computer for $300 Cdn. They were 5-6 years old but hardly used, serviced a couple years prior to sale and never used after. LDS tested them and good to go.

I try not to pay more than about 1/4 new price for most things.

Scubaboard can be a good place but the people here know the value so less likely to get a really great deal. You do have a better chance of getting quality however.

Last edited:
Aside from the sale sites, there is the pre sale or not for sale gear.

One other technique I fell into because I talk about diving probably more than I should. Make sure everyone knows that you dive, I have had a lot of gear given to me because it's collecting dust and the don't want the hassle of selling, or having their old prized personal possessions in the hands of a stranger. Some of it is old crap, some is old and I try to get it operational which is a hobby, and some is things like weights, tanks, fins, SPG, hoses, spearguns, and so on that usually are functional.

Personally I may sell a few things when I hang up my fins, but I plan on passing on most of it to new divers that impress me with their passion.

Bob

Aside from the sale sites, there is the pre sale or not for sale gear.

One other technique I fell into because I talk about diving probably more than I should. Make sure everyone knows that you dive, I have had a lot of gear given to me because it's collecting dust and the don't want the hassle of selling, or having their old prized personal possessions in the hands of a stranger. Some of it is old crap, some is old and I try to get it operational which is a hobby, and some is things like weights, tanks, fins, SPG, hoses, spearguns, and so on that usually are functional.

Personally I may sell a few things when I hang up my fins, but I plan on passing on most of it to new divers that impress me with their passion.

Great point...

I got some very nice Pentax Takumar lenses when a friend's dad found out that I was into photography. I had to take everything, including the film camera. The lenses were a bit dusty on the outside and one was partially dismantled, but they were easy to clean and restore. Though these lenses are old, built between 1968 and 1972, physics is physics, so the optics are great! Also, since plastic lenses weren't as common, these are metal and glass. Solid!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom