Where to get cert'ed? Long weekend-DCA to...? Not CZM, GCM, LC, BON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@wetb4igetinthewater, toooooo funny!!! Drysuit cert is definitely next for me. Dove La Jolla Cove in a 7mm, 57 degrees, froze my you now what off!!
Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be too keen on my offer! Seriously, it is misery for students to dive in wetsuits around here. That's why I combine dry suit. Anyway, I'll step out. Good luck! Have great times in the future diving with your kids!

I'd look to Key Largo... Why??
-Shallow reef, many sites are around 40'. They also have deeper dives, and some great wrecks.
-Short boat rides to the reef, maybe 20-25 minute (it always seems very short, so I may be slightly off).
-Insurance reasons, you're still in the USA, should it be needed.
-Easy to get to, fly into Ft. Lauderdale, rent a car and before you know it you're in the Keys.
-Many great operators (from what I've read), although all my experience is limited to Rainbow Reef.
-Native English speaking instructors are abundant.

As far as specific operators, like I said I've only dove in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef. On my last trip down I reached out to a few other shops, but things didn't work out with them. With Rainbow, they use mostly (exclusively??) big boats, Newton 42' boats. These are often called 'cattle boats', I've never been with them in the high season, so I enjoy the 'big boat' without being on board with too many people.

Some other knocks on them, they're big, and the crank out instructors, so there are a lot of newer/ younger people working there. I would avoid the newer instructors. I'm sure they smart, and caring, and everything else, but I'd request one of the more experienced instructors. Some of them include, Jardin, Phil, Yariem AKA Aqua (he's Cuban, but speaks VERY good English), Corey, Gia.

At the very least I'd give RR a call, or shoot them an e-mail. If you do go with them, try to get one of the instructors listed above.

CocoView in Roatan had great variety for new and experienced divers. Love the Front Yard for classes and two walls! Boats have a ladder under/through the hull in case the seas ate rough, can be a great comfort to be divers.

I flew down to Ft Lauderdale with my son a couple of years ago and drove down to Key Largo. He got certified the Rainbow Reef. Very professional, hands on, good equipment, all good. If I had to do it again I would do the same. My daughter and I got certified in Cozumel and probably did not learn as much. Just too much to see to stay focused.

Sorry for the confusion, why take the top spot off the list? In order my thoughts would be lc, bon then czm. Confused Bill

It's just a long weekend, correct?

Where do you see the best flights for your schedule?

I'm planning on going to Key Largo this fall. I got my AOW in Key West and wasn't all that impressed with the diving.

Back
Top Bottom