Where to get DM in Sept-Nov?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colorado Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Help! I am at my wit's end, and didn't know if anyone can steer me in the right direction. I would like to go somewhere to get my dive master certification, and I have time in September - early November. Ideally, I would like to go somewhere (affordable) where I can practice my Spanish as well....and be somewhat close to home, as I will need to fly to the US once or twice for work during that time. However, it is hurricane or rainy season for many places during that time (I can handle rain, but still want good diving); and I also am a blonde female single traveler. I am rather adventurous and well-traveled, but still want to feel safe.

Most places in Mexico are prone to hurricanes at that time; Roatan has its rainy season; I went to Costa Rica recently and would consider returning but any suggestions where (other than Flamingo) - and Panama could work but I hear mixed reviews. Anyone have any ideas on the above, or other destinations I've overlooked?

I need to be deciding ASAP...thanks for any help you can offer. Otherwise, I'm going to throw a dart at a map and see where I end up!

Have you ever hear about Punta de Mita? West coast of Mexico, near Puerto Vallarta. Its very rare to have hurricane there. Nice atmhospere, safe and close enough to Puerto Vallarta. The diving can be very interesting, check puntamitaexpeditions.com

Have you ever heard of San Andres Island or Old Providence? I usually would recommend Old Providence but the fact that you have to travel back to the states I would say San Andres. Getting to OP is another flight but well worth it for the right person. They are a small group of islands in the western Caribbean. Not well known by Americans but frequently visited by Canadians and Europeans and of coarse Colombians. But don’t let the fact that it is a Colombian island detour you it is a Caribbean Island not Colombia. Hurricanes are not really a issue, they usually form in the area but do not get to hurricane force until the have moved far enough away not to effect the islands. They speak both English and Spanish on the island so you can practice your Spanish. The diving is comparable to Bonaire, Cozumel and Belize.
Any way there are a few write up on SB and a little diligence you can find out about the islands.
If you need more info just ask I am not from the islands but my wife and son live there and I visit once a month. I know all the dive operations and places to stay so if you need help or have any questions contact me.
Ciao
Tad

Hola,

We are in palyas del Coco and offer 3 month internship for DM's We have a few each month and it's really growing. Of course it's a good way to learn Spanish here in Costa Rica, but diving the Pacific is a challenge. Becoming a dm here makes you ready to dive and guide everywhere. We teach you how to run a shop, assist customers, load and get the boats ready and of course unlimited diving. If you need more inforamtion let me know. dive@richcoastdiving.com

Back
Top Bottom