Where to get VIP stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, folks, I've been doing my own VIPs for a while, and have spoken with the two dive shops I patronize for fills, and explained to them that I'm doing my own VIPs and how I do them. They are completely comfortable with what I am doing and are providing fills in cylinders I have inspected myself.

I've been using generic stickers from eBay, but have had problems with durability. They rip and fall off.

In an effort to keep this thread from going off the rails, I want to make a few things clear up front:

a) I am not misrepresenting what I am doing, and on the contrary have made it clear to the shops I'm using that I'm performing inspections myself
b) I am qualified to do this and am inspecting cylinders conservatively. I have and will continue to seek the advice of more experienced inspectors in borderline cases.
c) I am willing to scrap unsafe cylinders and have already done so in one case

While I have plans to obtain my own compressor in the near future, I am still thinking that I'll sticker my cylinders when I inspect them, mainly to avoid misunderstandings with divers who see my cylinders and think that they have not been inspected, but also for the rare situation where I need fills away from home.

Who can recommend a source for stickers that are durable enough for the dive environment, available in reasonable quantities for the individual diver, and that do not require formal certification through PSI or a similar group?

I've read divers get them on Amazon and use them to bypass the VIP fees each year without actually doing a VIP. It puts Dive Shops at risk but the diver saved $25 so what does he or she care?

I've read divers get them on Amazon and use them to bypass the VIP fees each year without actually doing a VIP. It puts Dive Shops at risk but the diver saved $25 so what does he or she care?
More than a bit harsh. . . if you're only doing air fills or Nitrox from banked gas, the skipped VIP doesn't put anyone at risk.

And for the record, my LDS does partial pressure blending and I pay for the yearly VIP.

I do my own inspection, but the show for which I teach prefers that I use their stickers. I now have an endoscope and have no problem providing video of my inspections. But that's not answering your question.

If I had to go that route, I'd first try a place like this:

Products

So, folks, I've been doing my own VIPs for a while, and have spoken with the two dive shops I patronize for fills, and explained to them that I'm doing my own VIPs and how I do them. They are completely comfortable with what I am doing and are providing fills in cylinders I have inspected myself.

I've been using generic stickers from eBay, but have had problems with durability. They rip and fall off.

In an effort to keep this thread from going off the rails, I want to make a few things clear up front:

a) I am not misrepresenting what I am doing, and on the contrary have made it clear to the shops I'm using that I'm performing inspections myself
b) I am qualified to do this and am inspecting cylinders conservatively. I have and will continue to seek the advice of more experienced inspectors in borderline cases.
c) I am willing to scrap unsafe cylinders and have already done so in one case

While I have plans to obtain my own compressor in the near future, I am still thinking that I'll sticker my cylinders when I inspect them, mainly to avoid misunderstandings with divers who see my cylinders and think that they have not been inspected, but also for the rare situation where I need fills away from home.

Who can recommend a source for stickers that are durable enough for the dive environment, available in reasonable quantities for the individual diver, and that do not require formal certification through PSI or a similar group?

Have you tried this?: Stickers & Forms : PSI Cylinders, Professional Scuba Inspectors

I use stickers from onlinescuba.com they are a shop out of Vegas and have both nitrox and air flavored stickers.

PSI won't sell you stickers unless you've taken a class from them within the last 3 years. They do not offer classes in my area, and I am reluctant to go this route anyway because I have a certain amount of principled opposition to the instruction creep/credential creep that I see inherent in the PSI way of doing things.

More than a bit harsh. . . if you're only doing air fills or Nitrox from banked gas, the skipped VIP doesn't put anyone at risk.

And for the record, my LDS does partial pressure blending and I pay for the yearly VIP.

JohnN- A tank VIP is done to inspect the tank for damage, to avoid it from exploding when being filled.

I use stickers from onlinescuba.com they are a shop out of Vegas and have both nitrox and air flavored stickers.

I have a distant dive buddy (800 miles) who uses those as well for the last couple years. Somewhat thin I think as his are fairly ripped up by season's end and the couple by a local shop weren't so bad... he's tough on gear too though. He's been turned away from an unknown shop, they wouldn't accept a 'generic sticker'. Mileage may vary. His local shop knows he care about his air more than they do and respects the quality if his inspection, so no issues getting a fill there. I've borrowed a pair of his tanks once and a random shop filled it no problem too. Nice looking sticker.

Regards,
Cameron

JohnN- A tank VIP is done to inspect the tank for damage, to avoid it from exploding when being filled.
And this is based on what?

There is no equivalent to the yearly VIP outside of the SCUBA business that I'm aware of. If there was a real problem, wouldn't you expect reports of welding/compressed gas cylinders exploding?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom