Where to go after Komodo...Raja Ampat? Philippines? PNG? Solomons? Somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bibeldyboo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had the most amazing dives of my live with the Mermaid II in Komodo about a year ago, and looking to for my next solo adventure. Thinking somewhere between February to April of 2020.

Almost everything I look at is pointing me towards Raja Ampat, but wanted to check and see if there was reason to check out somewhere else instead. Looking to travel about 14-16 days, inclusive of travel time from New York.

A few notes about me / my thoughts:
1. I'm good diver, but certainly no expert. I was fine in Komodo, but only have about 100 dives under my belt, and haven't dived since.
2. I can get direct flights to Manila or Singapore, which is pretty tempting. I'm happy to do multiple connections to get to the right place, but less is more
3. Loved the liveaboard life, but happy to dive from land as well
4. I love macro life and healthy corals. Big stuff is great too, I do want a mix, but if I had to prioritize, macro is most important.
5. Going solo, if that matters

A few places I'm thinking of (but open to suggestions):
1. Raja Ampat
2. Philippines (Anilao, Apo Island, Tubbataha Reef, etc.)
3. PNG (not sure where)
4. Sipidan
5. Solomons
6. Palau

Thank you all! Open to any suggestions!!

All are wonderful. I'd put Palau at the bottom of my list.
Sipidan is mostly big stuff, but the non Sipidan dives are full of macro.
PNG, I've only been to Tawali and loved both the macro and the reef.
Philippines: I've been to Anilao and Puerto Galera; loved both. Anilao has great macro and some good reef dives
Raja Ampat--I liked Sorido better than Missol, but both were good.
Amed has good macro.
My next trip is to Alor and Amed. Alor is new to me.
Then Philippines (Anilao and Dumagette Trying to figure out how to get to Lifou in New Caledonia
I'm only diving stuff I'm pretty sure I'll like. Life is to short for me to do a lot more exploring.

Had the most amazing dives of my live with the Mermaid II in Komodo about a year ago, and looking to for my next solo adventure. Thinking somewhere between February to April of 2020.

Almost everything I look at is pointing me towards Raja Ampat, but wanted to check and see if there was reason to check out somewhere else instead. Looking to travel about 14-16 days, inclusive of travel time from New York.

1. I'm good diver, but certainly no expert. I was fine in Komodo, but only have about 100 dives under my belt, and haven't dived since.
2. I can get direct flights to Manila or Singapore, which is pretty tempting. I'm happy to do multiple connections to get to the right place, but less is more
4. I love macro life and healthy corals. Big stuff is great too, I do want a mix, but if I had to prioritize, macro is most important.

1. Raja Ampat
3. PNG (not sure where)
4. Sipidan
5. Solomons
6. Palau

If you decide to go to the Philippines, April is going to be a better timeframe for weather/water temps and Tubbataha is only available to dive from March to June and only by liveaboard.

1. Raja Ampat
3. PNG (not sure where)
4. Sipidan
5. Solomons
6. Palau
1- probably one of the best place on earth where to go diving, bear in mind fish schools and corals are more important than macro here. a bit like Komodo but with more fish.
2- As much as i love the Phils for the general atmosphere, it's second to Indo in terms of dive quality. Anilao and Dauin are great for macro and can combine coral reef dives, no biggies though.
3- PNG - I love Tawali, this is historically where muckdive started, very expensive though, some chances of a lone hammerhead here and there, absolutely pristine coral reefs.
4- Very good for fish schools, Mabul is not up for macro.
5- never been, needs a liveaboard but from the reports I had PNG seems a step above though.
6- Palau doesn't attract me a bit for many reasons including the style of diving. Don't expect macro.

In your list you're missing :
Alor (excellent balance beween macro, corals and big stuff : hammerheads and rhinopias) but diving starts in April there, alike Komodo season.
Triton bay, the densest biomass in the area, you'll have whale sharks, schools of fish and a lot of macro. The price to pay is currents and bad viz.
If you llke macro better than Wide angle, Tulamben in Bali is really an excellent place, on top of my list, plus you'd go diving for mantas in Nusa Penida.

1. Raja Ampat
We have been to North (Raja Ampat Dive Lodge) and South (Misool)
North wins! Definitely recommended!
We have been to Puerto Galera and Cebu/Moalboal. Also recommended.
3. PNG (not sure where)
We went to Walindi and the diving was absolutely out of this world!
4. Sipidan
Not been
5. Solomons
Not been
6. Palau
Going in December!

Other place, worth mentioning that we have been:
Fiji : Outstanding!
Tahiti : Different, but good
Indo/Ambon: Very good
Indo/Gorontalo: Very very good
Indo/Lembeh: Excellent!!!
Indo/Wakatobi: Very very good!

PNG
Raja Ampat
Solomons - Uepi
Phillipines
Sipidan

Have not been to Palau

1. Raja Ampat
3. PNG (not sure where)
4. Sipidan
5. Solomons
6. Palau

We still have 4 spots available due to trip cancellation in Raja Ampat 14-25 Jan 2020 with Amira $837 off if you are interested. I'll be leaving from Houston on 11 Jan, 2020 and returning 25 Jan, 2020, 15 day door-to-door trip.

Another vote for Wakatobi - A+ diving and land based accommodation

Lemba Straits is stunning for macro, weird, crazy critters.

Alor is amazing on the right boat.

Went to Sipadan as my next trip after Komodo. Loved it. Highly recommended.

Thank you all so much for your help!

I’m leaning towards either a 12day/11night Liveaboard with Ambon -> Banda -> Raja Ampat, or a 9day/8night Raja Ampat, with adding a few days of land based Lembeh. Both sound absolutely amazing. Wakatobi sounds great too, but too rich for my blood.

It’s a lot of flights and travel time, but sounds worth it. Is the Lembeh+Raja option the better choice here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom