Where to go after Komodo...Raja Ampat? Philippines? PNG? Solomons? Somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me the better choice would be a 11 night 12 day Raja liveaboard.

If I could afford it, I'd do another one back to back. Can't get enough.

Why do you want to go to Lembeh?

Was hearing how amazing the muck / macro diving was with chances to see wonderpus and all sorts of cool creatures. A 12 day live aboard would certainly be easier travel time wise and probably less expensive overall.

Definitely do a long LOB in Raja, 10-12 days. Lembeh is a great combo if you like Muck or want to try it, or Bali specifically Tuluamben has excellent muck, and great topside. Or you could do some land based in RA before a LOB. Or as @chillyinCanada says do back to back LOB, one of my most epic trips was a Banda Sea trip immediately followed by a 10 day LOB in RA.

Indeed Centrals - PNG and the Tuomotos make my spine tingle. Let's hope the day never comes when PNG becomes "the next raja Ampat"

Let's hope the day never comes when PNG becomes "the next raja Ampat"

I don't think it will ever be.

PNG diving was already known 30 years ago when nobody could put any dive site of Indonesia on the map except for Bali, Bunaken and Maumere (weirdly enough Maumere was a big name in diving Indonesia before 92, thanks to Rudie Kuiter ), Raja 4 wasn't even heard about and look at the situation now.

On the marketing side , I don't give PNG a chance to develop like Indonesia :
- Tell the americans about the safety situation and how raskols can get into a resort anytime they like.
- Make sure the russians know there is no shopping possible around.
- Let the chinese acknowledge they can't expect asian food diet in the islands nor karaoke.
What is there left? Too far away and expensive for cheap europeans, the SP beer is too bitter and too less for ozzies.

@Luko - I second every marketing strategy for PNGs diving future - would also add there's not that many Aussies heading there because their government regularly gets ****** at ours and visa versa so that and the media coverage of Raskols running amok is enough. From my side of Aus its two days flying to POM.
A Swiss lady I met in Komodo didn't believe me when I told her about the supermarket barbed wire armed guards and one car at a time or the do not stop for police at night thing...I kinda love PNG for all its darkness. I learned a lot from that country like never say "wash the car" but it's hilarious to watch some Papuan squirting out the interior of a Mercedes Benz..perfectly logical, it's washed now. Islander logic is a wonderful thing.

That's really interesting to know about Maumere - I was there about a year ago and wondered why no one really seems to go there. Met someone later who grew up there - European father - seems Maumere had some interesting times.

Has anyone else ever thought about diving around Bouganville? I know all Australians were expelled for a while but....I bet it's amazing underwater. Anyone?

Oooohhhh I went a hunting and found some footage on underwater Bouganville.

Wreck focused trip by a German outfit was gobsmacking to see and has made me start looking for a new boat looking for crew....cos that's the only way I'm ever going to get there. Something beautiful about flabellinas on a bomber propeller.

Surprisingly there is a tourist bureau....I rang them (Tok Pisin) and the response to any chance of getting over and doing a little bit of exploring underwater roughly translated was "You Lik Lik Crazy Lady" clunk :rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom