Where to go for my DMT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why do you want to go around the world just for a course why dont you take it where you live? seems like a lot of money to spend

I agree whole heartedly. Do it with your local dive shops, and dive the gears they dive. I can not see any dive shops or instructors in Michigan wanting to hire a warm weather trained DM who dives in a swimming trunk with perfect skills.

Throw on 25 lbs of lead, 14 mm of neoprene or a drysuit on the same DM, and watch him struggle with clearing his mask with a hood and lobster gloves. Not to be disrespectful of DM/SI who dives in warm weather, I think it is an easier transition to go from cold water than warm water to cold. Just try to clear your mask in 45 degree water with gloves and hood once... and you'll agree with me.

I agree whole heartedly. Do it with your local dive shops, and dive the gears they dive. I can not see any dive shops or instructors in Michigan wanting to hire a warm weather trained DM who dives in a swimming trunk with perfect skills.

Throw on 25 lbs of lead, 14 mm of neoprene or a drysuit on the same DM, and watch him struggle with clearing his mask with a hood and lobster gloves. Not to be disrespectful of DM/SI who dives in warm weather, I think it is an easier transition to go from cold water than warm water to cold. Just try to clear your mask in 45 degree water with gloves and hood once... and you'll agree with me.

Not to mention the fact that buoyancy control is pretty easy from what I hear in warm water diving since you're wearing a lot less neoprene, so as far as buoyancy control goes, if you have that down in cold water then you're golden.

And to the OP, just a quick note, but DMT is Dive Medical Technician, which is something entirely different from DM.

Geez people give the guy a break, you also started somewhere with only 1 dive! If he wants to do a DMT then let him. It will only make his diving experience more enjoyable… I did my DM course really early on and have had no desire to use it commercially. It did however increase my knowledge and desire to learn and go deep into a sport I love! Nothing better then hands on training. I am now planning my MSDT course but that doesn’t mean I will or won’t be training people in the future or using it commercially! It’s all about self improvement. So all you DM’s can relax he is not trying to steal your job!

My view, DM is a course to tell you how to teach/supervise. It contains very little to improve your own personal dive skills and knowledge.
If you want to teach first get experience then do DM. If you want to further your own diving then do some other course such as the TDI/IANTD/GUE or other offerings which ARE about your own diving.

...and yes to me a "DMT" is a dive master trainee. Have never heard the term used for anything else.

Hey...

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where to head to do my Divemaster course. Thinking of leaving about Oct time...[

I really want to go somewhere people recommend, where they have really enjoyed their time and experience there and also found it easy and helpful. Id love to hear your thoughts and ideas.. open to ideas for anywhere in the world! ;-)

Hope someone can help! ;-)

First is what sort of DM course do you want? Internship or the quick version? If its internship all the med and so on do it through the summer so you've missed that. October probably Thailand or somewhere like that.

If you do an internship expect to work 7 days a week for 12hrs or maybe more per day for a few months without time off.

Also i strongly suggest getting at least 50-60 more REAL dives in before going for it. Experience is invaluable and cant be taught.

If you want to work in the UK as a DM why not do a BSAC DM course.

BSAC don't do a DM course. They do a Dive Leader course but that isnt the same thing and wont be any use at all if you want to work as a DM.

I am now planning my MSDT course but that doesn’t mean I will or won’t be training people in the future or using it commercially!

From your profile page I'm assuming what you mean is your planning your Instructor Development Course (IDC) course. After successful completion of an IDC you may take an Instructor Exam (IE) to become an Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI). Some new OWSI's chose to take the MSDT Prep course, which is basically just 5 Specialty Instructor certs qualified for by training with a Course Director (CD).

Similar to PADI Master Scuba Diver (MSD), there is no MSDT course; MSDT is just an achievement card. With 5 Specialty Instructor ratings, after you have certified 25 divers you can send PADI ~$50 and get the MSDT card. There are employers who pay more to a MSDT than an OWSI, and that would be the only reason I see for MSDT.

There are employers who pay more to a MSDT than an OWSI, and that would be the only reason I see for MSDT.

Agreed. No other reason i got it other than the fact lots of jobs ask for an MSDT (despite the fact owi with specialities is exactly the same).

Well thank you, I have done my research and know the route I’m taking. It is common knowledge if you see the Padi web site PADI Courses , One would go from Dm to AI to OWSI to Speciality Instructor/MSDT to IDCS to Master Instructor to CD... This is the internship I am planning.

Back
Top Bottom