Where to go for my DMT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well thank you, I have done my research and know the route I’m taking. It is common knowledge if you see the Padi web site PADI Courses , One would go from Dm to AI to OWSI to Speciality Instructor/MSDT to IDCS to Master Instructor to CD... This is the internship I am planning.

PADI:
You’re a new instructor? Just finished the IE? No problem. See your Course Director for PADI Specialty Instructor Training and the Master Scuba Diver Trainer Prep Course.

Well, as usual we are a little off topic from the OP, but just to clarify the above quote is from the PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer Course details page. Other than the title of the page, the only course mentioned is the MSDT Prep Course.

There are many MSDT's that never took a class after passing their IE. For each Specialty Instructor rating, you may just submit a form and fee. On the form you state that you have the required number of logged "boat dives" and that you will follow the teaching standards of the PADI Boat Diver Specialty.

The Specialty Instructor application can be used for up to 5 Specialties on each form (a coincidence?). After certifying 25 OW divers, an OWSI could send in one application for 5 Specialty Instructor ratings, with the $250-ish (USD) in fees. A week or so later (after processing) send in the MSDT application with the $50-ish fee and blamo your a MSDT. No course necessary.

I can not find in my Standards that MSDT is required for IDCSI or MI, but all that would be required is submitting the application and fee. No course necessary. My MSDT Prep course was part of my Resort Pro course, which was really just an extra chunk of change I wasted on a few more days working for Ocean Divers without pay.

I really want to go somewhere people recommend, where they have really enjoyed their time and experience there and also found it easy and helpful. Id love to hear your thoughts and ideas.. open to ideas for anywhere in the world! ;-)

Back to the OP, what I will say is to get everything in writing. I received a letter from my Course Director where the promises he made to get me to commit were documented on Ocean Divers letter head with his sig at the bottom. When he left in the middle of my stay, other students got shafted, but I showed my letter and got what was promised, or fair compensation for promises that could not be met.

For an experienced water person who is athletic and mentally sharp, the Instructor Factories can be a great experience and the quickest way to a paying dive job, which unfortunately is where the real world learning actually happens. Since Dick Rutkowski is the downstairs neighbor to Ocean Divers (Key Largo), and the diving is both beautiful and fairly challenging, I think that location offers many good opportunities, even though the DM/IDC is probably only typical.

Hey...

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where to head to do my Divemaster course. Thinking of leaving about Oct time...

I really want to go somewhere people recommend, where they have really enjoyed their time and experience there and also found it easy and helpful. Id love to hear your thoughts and ideas.. open to ideas for anywhere in the world! ;-)

Hope someone can help! ;-)
Hey Clifty, check out the new post on my blog.... A life in scuba diving is not for everyone! It gives some info on Internships. I am keen to do an internship in Oct, I live in SW19 20min from London! Maybe we could find some where for both of us! Would make it more fun. Drop me a line...

It is perfectly fine to start your DM training with 24 dives, if the dive center that will train you is a dedicated one, they will - train - you and not certify you until have reached a satisfactory level. (that means min. 60 dives)
PADI requires to have a MINIMUM of 60 dives when you cerify as DM. Remember that is a minimum requirement.

Hey Clifty,

Im heading out to Dahab (Red Sea, Egypt) in October to do my DM. I have been diving there 4 times already and its an amazing place! There are plenty of reputable PADI centres there and you are probably looking at about £300-£400 for the course. There are also options for internships if money is a little on the short side - remember you will have to have your own equipment to do your DM. If you want to know more about Dahab, visas and places to go PM me and I will reveal all. I can also give u tips on cheap flights :eek:).
I do understand what some people are saying on here about experience but I only have 35 dives and have dived with people who have logged well over 100 and I am actually quite shocked at the obvious lack of skill - so just like the depth of your dives, its only a number, its what you take from the experience that counts! I say go for it! I am!

WaxWorld - Im SW8 - lets make it 3 (4 if u include my other half!)

Hey Clifty,

Im heading out to Dahab (Red Sea, Egypt) in October to do my DM. I have been diving there 4 times already and its an amazing place! There are plenty of reputable PADI centres there and you are probably looking at about £300-£400 for the course. There are also options for internships if money is a little on the short side - remember you will have to have your own equipment to do your DM. If you want to know more about Dahab, visas and places to go PM me and I will reveal all. I can also give u tips on cheap flights :eek:).
I do understand what some people are saying on here about experience but I only have 35 dives and have dived with people who have logged well over 100 and I am actually quite shocked at the obvious lack of skill - so just like the depth of your dives, its only a number, its what you take from the experience that counts! I say go for it! I am!

WaxWorld - Im SW8 - lets make it 3 (4 if u include my other half!)
You tell them Victoria; I did my OW, AOW, Rescue and DM back to back! Learnt a lot along the way and as you say some people just have it! I had students on the courses I DM'ed for that where natural, like fish in the water! I also had clients when I was DM'ing in Sodwana SA that had hundreds of dives under their belts but where absolutely useless!!!

It looks like there are quite a few of us from the UK looking to do Internships starting Oct. I have been checking out Egypt, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Cypress, The Caribbean and the USA! There are lots of opportunities. Let me know if any one needs the info I have gathered and I can mail it to you! I posted a report from an Intern on my blog just today! Check it out if you get a chance!

Ciao
Wax

I posted a report from an Intern on my blog just today! Check it out if you get a chance!

Ciao
Wax

Well I just had a read - what an experience he has had. Makes me want to do it even more now... I am counting down the next 12 weeks every second! I may have to look up that dive centre when i get to Thailand as Im considering doing my Instructors quals somewhere other than Dahab!

Thanks for that - like the site!

Well I just had a read - what an experience he has had. Makes me want to do it even more now... I am counting down the next 12 weeks every second! I may have to look up that dive centre when i get to Thailand as Im considering doing my Instructors quals somewhere other than Dahab!

Thanks for that - like the site!
No Problem, I am glad you like the site! I got all the info from them for a 6month DM to IDCS internship... Looks awesome i think i might just go there in Oct for 6 or so months... Should Rock.... And i escape Uk winter! Yippie

Same for me. Im aiming to head to Thailand in September/October to escape the UK winter.

(although the UK summer is just as bad!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom