Where to go in Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two questions: Are you limited in which islands you are considering? Freeport on Grand Bahama Island and Nassau on New Providence are the most popular towns, but they represent just a fraction of places you can dive in the Bahamas. There are a lot of islands! I expected some Bahamas connoisseur to immediately tell you that Andros or the Exumas are the best place to dive. Maybe, but many people opt for Freeport or Nassau because they are easy to get to and offer many options. So, it all depends on how you value convenience versus remoteness, and economy versus expense.

As far as Freeport, I'll say +1 for Grand Bahama Scuba. I also dove with Caribbean Divers and another one--I think it was Xanadu. No problems with any of them. I haven't tried UNEXSO in Freeport or Stuart Cove's in Nassau, but both are very popular. I avoided UNEXSO due to comments in old threads here about them coddling divers and not letting them dive to the limits of their computer--I have no idea if the comments were accurate. Grand Bahama Scuba treated me with the respect due an experienced diver, and I tried to live up to it!

I have dove with Explore Scuba on Paradise island several times and they were awesome! They are on Paradise island about a block away from Atlantis and pick you up at the dock. Dive where you want, when you want, and how much you want! Hand holding available but not required. I've only been on 1 cattle boat and didn't like it very much, forced to end a dive with 2k left in tank.

Check out Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros. Dive the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world (some say Tobago cays are but i've heard Andros more than Tobago has the 3rd spot). Direct flights from Fort Lauderdale on Sun Air and the place is all inclusive and there are dive packages. It's one of the oldest dive lodges around. We didn't get to dive there due to weather. We are newbies so don't have much to compare to but we were impressed with their set up and DMs. They book up fast.

Blackbeard's. They leave out of Nassau now, and most of the diving is around the Exuma Cays. Accommodations are basic, with 3 fresh cooked, wholesome meals a day, and snacks in between. Booze is included in the price. Blackbeard's is all about the diving (and eating and sleeping). It's a very good value for your money.

Went out with Explore Scuba a couple of weeks ago. I avoid large boats with crowds, and they send you where you want to go on a 24 ft cc. Nice folks and easy to work with. They're located by the Ferry Terminal by the bridge on Paradise Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom