Where to learn in Asia / Southeast Asia in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wandererlaowai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

Planning to travel and a friend wants to join and get the OW certification.

I am already AOW but would like to find a place suitable for both.

What would you recommend - it must be in Asia / Southeast Asia and in January as we have holidays for Chinese New Year?

Thanks,

Mike

The Philippines is great, Bohol or Malapascua or Dumaguete if you fly into Cebu. The west coast of Thailand , Ko Lipe and Ko Lanta. It might still be raining in either Bali or Ko Tao.

The Philippines is great, Bohol or Malapascua or Dumaguete if you fly into Cebu. The west coast of Thailand , Ko Lipe and Ko Lanta. It might still be raining in either Bali or Ko Tao.

Could be unpleasant in Koh Tao or anywhere in the Gulf, yes.

I've enjoyed Bali in January but even so, it was rainy too and there were days and days that the dive boat couldn't go to Nusa Penida. This probably wouldn't be a factor for your buddy because to my mind, it's a dive day shouldn't be going on anyway.

However, you might have wanted to go over whilst your buddy took lessons.

Slightly off the beaten track but with very good diving (mod edit)

Southern Leyte.

Hello everyone,

I appreciate the tips, thank you all.

How about Khao Lak? Good diving? Suitable for learning?

We can fly direct to Phuket / Cebu / Manila and since it is only 1 week, we prefer to avoid going somewhere involving air-transfer. Also if there is more than diving to do, always better.

Philippines is closer and cheaper to reach, but I'm often put off by the food there (which in my honest opinion, sucks - compared with the rest of Asian) and the value for money of accommodation (which often is not quite there).

Thanks,

Mike

Its actually a good time to visit PH as currently there is a monsoon/rain season going on the west end of south china sea and gulf of thailand would be slightly affected.
East coast of Thailand may have abit more rain than usual, while island at the east coast of Malaysia are mainly closed except for those willing to risk it for surfing.

Other than PH, i would say west coast of Thailand would be a good alternative though better to search around for more info.
Or the east peninsula of Malaysia, Mabul island would be good for new divers. I would say opt out from diving at Sipadan till your friend gets certified to fully enjoy it, this gives another reason to visit again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom