Where to live in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

echocat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, hoping to get some advice on where to live in Bali

I just moved here for work. My office is in Canggu but not really liking the vibe there. I was hoping it would be more laid back but even with COVID it's still pretty busy. I lived in a remote area in the Philippines for a while and I got used to things being chilled out and quiet. I do appreciate the convenience of Canggu but I don't really need all of it. A couple of nice restaurants, bars, and a few places to listen to music is all I need. Also I'm not much of a surfer and don't really want to learn either.
I do want to dive as much as possible tho. I only need to be in the office a couple times a week so I'm thinking anything within a 30-45min drive from Canggu and the airport would be fine.

Anyone of you people live on the eastern side of Bali? Sanur or Nusa Dua maybe? What's life like over there? Is it a good place to live for a diver or it doesn't make much difference given that the best dive sites are further up north?

I'm gonna go check the neighborhood this weekend but I'd love some insider's perspective.

Thanks a lot

I've spend a winter in Amed. That area is amazing, like a whole different island.
And I think best dive sites on Bali.

So that section, Amed, Jemeluk, Tulamben sounds like what you're looking for.

But it's maybe an hour or two from Canggu, depending on the traffic.

I've spend a winter in Amed. That area is amazing, like a whole different island.
And I think best dive sites on Bali.

So that section, Amed, Jemeluk, Tulamben sounds like what you're looking for.

But it's maybe an hour or two from Canggu, depending on the traffic.

Yea, the dive sites are way better up north, it's tempting to move there but I'm thinking the commute is going to be a little long. I'll be travelling around as well so I'd like to avoid being too far from the airport.
How was the internet there? Any black-outs? I'm asking because I'm going to need fast and reliable internet if I'm working from home most of the week.

I was using GoogleFI as a mobile hotspot, and it worked like a charm.
I was able to access my project and take and make hangouts calls.

The wifi in the house was OK, but not stable enough.
The coffeeshop at the beach did have a good wifi.

Also, the best thing about Amed was, you can either be first or second row of houses from the beach. :D
There's no third row.

Sanur is much better, no hipsters to put up with :rofl3:
Also, this is where all the boats leave to go to Penida for day trips and its a much easier commute to Amed/Tulamben etc.
A very much more chilled out area than Canggu and plenty of good restaurants etc without the traffic woes of the "dark side".
We have a whatsapp group for locals/expats for trips to Penida when we have space, send me a DM

Also, this is where all the boats leave to go to Penida for day trips and its a much easier commute to Amed/Tulamben etc.
A very much more chilled out area than Canggu and plenty of good restaurants etc without the traffic woes of the "dark side".
We have a whatsapp group for locals/expats for trips to Penida when we have space, send me a DM

Good to know for where to go when coming next time to Bali

Thanks Mike, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Sent you a DM
I'll go check out the area today

Sanur is where I would live!! Definitely dive with Underwater Tribe (Mike Veitch) if you can. They take great care of their customers!
Sweet, thanks for the advice. Awesome Instagram page btw :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom