Where to mount a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a small knife and I am looking at places to mount it on a Mares Dragon BC. I am leaning towards mounting it onto one of the pockets, but this BC doesn't have any mounting holes/grommets and I am hesitant to poke any holes in the BC. I may just end up keeping it in a pocket. Any suggestions? And where is the best place to mount it?

I don't know about that specific BC, but I like mounting mine right in the center on my waist strap. Easy to reach with either hand with very little movement. Chances are, when you really need it, you may not have a lot of mobility, and keeping it centered and close could be a real life saver.

you should have no trouble poking holes in, for example, the flaps of pockets, or any non-bladder related area of your bc

just take a look around and make sure you don't compromise your bladder

Im going to move mine to the corrogated hose with electric ties for my trip to Barbados and see how that works.

If you decide to burn a hole....use something smaller then the hole you need as the material will retract more than the item you use.

steely123:
I have a small knife and I am looking at places to mount it on a Mares Dragon BC. I am leaning towards mounting it onto one of the pockets, but this BC doesn't have any mounting holes/grommets and I am hesitant to poke any holes in the BC. I may just end up keeping it in a pocket. Any suggestions? And where is the best place to mount it?

I Have a Mares Dragon AT, the low pressure inflator hose routes under the left arm. I have a hose mounted 4 inch knife. I can easily get to it with either hand.

Andy

I have both waist belt and pocket mount, oh.... and leg mount...can never have too much jingly stuff with you.

I sort of like the hose mount, but have not tried it.

If you do punch a hole, just use a heated ice pick or large nail to melt a hole (but only in the outside pockets.. never, never do anything to the bladder.

I also like the ones mounted on the shoulder straps.

I'm still old-school and carry mine strapped to my leg/calf area. Which brings up another question....strap to inside or outside of leg??

k4man:
I'm still old-school and carry mine strapped to my leg/calf area. Which brings up another question....strap to inside or outside of leg??

Inside without a doubt for me. It does not get in the way when I kick and I would have to try really hard to get something on the inside of my leg to tangle with it. I wear it on my left leg so i can get at it with my right hand.

I also carry a small backup knife in a BC pocket incase for whatever reason I cannot get at the one on my leg.

Matt_NJ:
Inside without a doubt for me. It does not get in the way when I kick and I would have to try really hard to get something on the inside of my leg to tangle with it. I wear it on my left leg so i can get at it with my right hand.

I also carry a small backup knife in a BC pocket incase for whatever reason I cannot get at the one on my leg.

Matt...

I actually wear mine on the inside left calf for some of the same reasons you mentioned...I just posted the question to get some responses. Also, perhaps out of paranoid mistrust, I don't strap it to the outside because its easier for someone ELSE to reach my dive knife...:( I know, I should share this with my therapist! :rofl3:

I have my "BC" knife mounted centrally on my BC belt, to my right of the buckle. I also carry a pair of shears to the left, and wil be keeping a line cutter in my right drysuit cargo pocket.

steely123:

Back
Top Bottom