Where to place reels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Having problems with the placement of my reels. I dive a Prism2 CCR with 2 AL80's sidemounted. I have tried placing a bent D-ring in the space between myself & the cylinders,... Unfortunately the reels are too low to be safe (entanglement hazard). I've tried butt D- ring, the CCR stand,... The problem is I cannot reach the reels back there,.... my arms are too short, when I have to reach around the cylinders. I do not like using spools/ prefer reels. Any ideas?

2 options. 1 is to put a d-ring on the cylinders themselves. Not sure how flexible your arms are, but a bent d-ring on the bottles may work for you. Option 2 is to use a counterlung d-ring from DSS and put it on your waist strap as close to the backplate as possible. This will lower the attachment point and may give you enough clearance to clip in underneath the first stage/valve

In the space between the unit and the 80s you could put a tank neck ring with a quicklink to a d-ring. You can easily get reels placed in this place, and not have any danglies. I do this with heavier bottles, and works well

I put my reel on my right hand SM rail. It lays on top of my right SM tank until I need it.

What about adding a pocket to the sidemount 80s for storage?

I don't use a buttplate with rails, the buttplate places the rails too low, almost between my legs & out of reach. The AL80 bailouts I use get in the way < severely limit my reach back there.
you are clipping the tails of the al80s to the waist strap Drings?

Add a butterfly ring to the crotch strap and clip the al80s to that, something like this"
Highseas Double Counterlung D-ring
you can also use two conventional Drings and a piece of webbing horizontally

Move the waist Drings back a little bit (towards your spine)
Clip the reels to the waist strap rings and have them lay on top of the tanks right next to the CCR bottle valves

The reason you are struggling to reach can be fixed by moving your al80s back a little bit so when you rotate your shoulder your arm goes over the crown of the al80 instead of around the crown of the tank. You might need to adjust your neck bungies to help make that happen.

you are clipping the tails of the al80s to the waist strap Drings?

Add a butterfly ring to the crotch strap and clip the al80s to that, something like this"
Highseas Double Counterlung D-ring
you can also use two conventional Drings and a piece of webbing horizontally

Move the waist Drings back a little bit (towards your spine)
Clip the reels to the waist strap rings and have them lay on top of the tanks right next to the CCR bottle valves

The reason you are struggling to reach can be fixed by moving your al80s back a little bit so when you rotate your shoulder your arm goes over the crown of the al80 instead of around the crown of the tank. You might need to adjust your neck bungies to help make that happen.
No. I have the "butterfly style" D-ring on my crotch strap, placed up, almost up to backplate. I can reach it, but barely. I currently have a waist D-ring that I have been using for the reels, placed in the gap between the curve of my waist & the cylinder. Unfortunately it allows the reels to hang too low, thus creating a entanglement hazard. I need to get the reels up, without being in between myself (uncomfortable) & too high or out of my reach.

Are you actually asking for help here or just complaining about everything you "can't" do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom