Where to put spare lenses with floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daebado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I recently got a new macro wet lens and so thought it would be a great idea to get one of those lens holders that goes on an ultralight arm. Went with the bayonet style so it would be easier to deal with underwater. The holder arrived the other day and I was all excited until I realized that my ultralight arms are completely engulfed in floats!

Now, I could cut away enough of the floats to allow for the lens holder, but that would take away a significant amount of floatation. Plus, it takes it away from one side and then adds extra weight in the form of the holder (and the lens when I'm not using it) so I feel the whole rig will be lopsided!

What do you guys do with your extra lenses? How do you add extra floatation if your keeping them on your rig's arms?

Starting to feel like I should have just stuck with video. This camera thing is getting complicated. And big! And expensive!!

:spend:

A couple of options- a flip holder is one or use the INON float arms have attachment points for lens holders as another option.

If you do DIY you might be able to drill the foam float and use a length of stainless tubing as a spacer to bolt your holder to the arm, you would have to source a longer SS bolt. You basically put the bolt through slip the tubing over and screw on the holder to the bolt - or some variation of that - you might need to drill right through to allow you push the bolt through from the far side of the float. I would place it close to the housing so the weight of the lens has less leverage.

There are Nauticam bayonet lens holders that fit on the clamp joint between the arms, so are free of the floats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom