Where to put your SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a drysuit/wetsuit pocket, with spool. I've clipped off to BC before too... it works, but its yet another thing dangling from your gear, and you have to keep an eye on the spool to make sure it doesn't come undone on you. I've had a SMB in a BCD pocket before... you can usually get it out underwater, but putting it back in is very difficult.

Can buy a glue on pocket for $25 bucks or so if you don't have one.

-B

I have the SMB and reel clipped to my left hip D ring. It's set up like this, and while there's never a 100% gaurantee that something won't come lose, it certainly seems secure...

My only complaint regarding this setup is that the DAN SMB comes with a cheesy plastic clip - I wish I could replace it with a standard stainless bolt snap, because reaching around and undoing that plastic clip is awkward, especially with gloves; nevertheless it's workable. It would definitely be faster and easier with a standard stainless bolt snap, though.

I got one of these links:

92_th.jpg

and a bolt snap. I then cut off the plastic and replaced it with the SS link and bolt snap.

I clip my SMB to the right side of my BC and let it "dangle" a bit. Easy to reach, out of the way and small enough not to notice any significant drag.

I got one of these links:

92_th.jpg

and a bolt snap. I then cut off the plastic and replaced it with the SS link and bolt snap.

I clip my SMB to the right side of my BC and let it "dangle" a bit. Easy to reach, out of the way and small enough not to notice any significant drag.

The problem with dangling bits is not so much the drag so much as catching on things as you swim by looking like a Christmas tree.

Tech diving has an entirely different set of rules but my SMB "dangles" about as much as my SPG on my left side which is to say not very much. I see other divers consoles hang down more on some dives. If a diver has a 3" bolt snap connected to anything it is going to dangle a bit without some bungees holding it, stowed inside a pocket, velcro, etc. Most SPGs I have seen have none of those and aren't a problem on 99.9999% of rec dives.

For the OP:

I'm gonna speak of the larger DSMB's. 5 to 6 ft ~ 6 in across.

I don't know of any BC pocket that will take one, but I did have a Zeagle trim weight pouch on my Stiletto which took my Carter bag.

I think your BC has a hard back plate. That being the case you can use the DR sleeves mentioned above or even 2 bungee loops as has been described for use with BPW's. I've done both on a Seaquest BC.

You can also put 2 bands made from surgical tubing on your tanks. Put the DSMB behind them. Keep the bag clipped off to a reel on a d-ring as well IMO.

Best way for you though IMO, is to glue a pockets on your wetsuits, get X-shorts, etc. I have pockets on all my wetsuits as well as a pair of neoprene shorts that I can use with other suits or no suit. I have posted some useful instructions on this board for gluing pockets. I've done more than 1/2 dozen and have gotten pretty good at it.

I usually dive a BPW and carry one marker or lift bag in an Halcyon Storage PAC between the plate and my back and a second in a thigh pocket.

Tech diving has an entirely different set of rules but my SMB "dangles" about as much as my SPG on my left side which is to say not very much. I see other divers consoles hang down more on some dives. If a diver has a 3" bolt snap connected to anything it is going to dangle a bit without some bungees holding it, stowed inside a pocket, velcro, etc. Most SPGs I have seen have none of those and aren't a problem on 99.9999% of rec dives.

First, I am no tech diver. I do take care to have a clean profile though.

Second just because some idiot swims around with a console hanging free or some other sloppy habit it does not mean you should be sloppy with your gear.

Third, an SPG is less likely to hook onto something compared to an SMB and reel. It is smaller and a simple shape. Even then, if you clip it off you should have some type of break away built in, even an old o-ring will do.

For most divers (including me), it is not a life or death issue, but an irritant you can avoid with a bit of forethought.

I don't have pockets and rarely need to deploy my SMB except for a drill. I drilled a couple of holes in my BP and threaded some 1/8 bungy cord. The SMB and a finger spool are clipped to my BP nice and tight between the BP and wing in easy reach. It is always there, can't forget to pack it.

The only drawback is stowing after deployment is a bitch.
That's what I did for mine on my BC after seeing my friends had hers on her BP&W

I very much like how it turned out, always there and easy to unstow and rig up ... havn't tried to restow it underwater but I think I could

Pic does not show how it looks now, it has a boltsnaop on the SMB and a small loop of bungee through it to keep it rolled after I pull it out of BC

I have my lift bag/ SMB folded for easy deployment in between my backplate and a sleve that is attached to said BP for this very reason.
bcabpp.jpg
I have the Oxycheq one, but could not find a picture quickly.

No drag, no danglies, frees up my thigh pocket(s) (which I have on my drysuit, wetsuit, and shorty).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom