Where to send my flooded S&S YS-01?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Long story short- flooded my Sea & Sea YS-01.

S&S website lists two dealers for repair: Pacific Housing Repair and Backscatter.

Any preferences on one over the other?

I got the strobe used (which is another long story that I'm a bit.... irritated about), and repair cost is a concern.

Thanks in advance!

R.

If it is inside the strobe I am not sure it is repairable, assuming you did not strip it down and wash it out in alchohol etc.
If it just flooded the battery compartment just wash it out and it should be good to go.

I flooded a Z240 on it 6th trip underwater due to the O'ring getting pinched on battery change. I dumped it and immediately ordered a SnS YS D1 as I know they can take a battery compartment flood. I have flooded one in the past as reported in the thread below this one.

I have sent lots of stuff to Devon at PHR, he is very good and is very fast if you tell him you need it quickly. I don't have experience with repairs at Backscatter so I can't compare prices but Devon does really nice job.
Bill
If you do rinse out the battery compartment you probably will still need a new cap, there is a Teflon membrane that often breaks when batteries explode
Bill

Thanks, Bill-- you responded *literally* an hour too late; just shipped the flash off to Backscatter. No real reason other than I was able to get them on the phone yesterday.

Thanks-- hopefully things work out. It's kind of a irritating thing.

R.

I have sent lots of stuff to Devon at PHR, he is very good and is very fast if you tell him you need it quickly. I don't have experience with repairs at Backscatter so I can't compare prices but Devon does really nice job.
Bill
If you do rinse out the battery compartment you probably will still need a new cap, there is a Teflon membrane that often breaks when batteries explode
Bill

+1 Devon is an absolute rockstar ! Does maintenance on my Aquatica. Nicest guy on the planet. He has fixed the "unfixable".

I just called FedEx and I can get my package back. Based on the two recommendations here, I'll repackage and ship to Devon.

Thanks again guys.

R.

Last edited:
@flybigjet
did you hear anything about your strobe?

I talked to Devon briefly last week; he's backed up and hasn't had a chance to really look at it. Judging from our discussion, he thinks there's a fair chance of repair at a reasonable (i.e. less than a new one) price.

Since my next trip isn't until July (Kona) and then October (Dunbar Rock), I'm fine with waiting.

R.

Just an update to close out the thread.

Devon is a *very* interesting bloke, with a wide range of interests. We chatted a fair bit yesterday-- he's "good people".

And my strobe is fixed, and I should have it by next week. Best guess is that the pressure relief port (?) on the Sea & Sea battery cap failed, which caused flooding to the battery compartment.

Thanks to all for the steer to Devon at Pacific Housing Repair.

Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom