Where to tie bolt sanp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want the light pointed down when clipped off.
I've tried tying near the base around the groove but doesn't work very well. Number 1 in the picture.
I haven't tried number 2 yet.
Will cave line chafe if I feed it through the spring relief near the wire. Number 3.

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpeg
    IMG_1869.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 176
#1 looks best. I would recommend strongly against putting it on the cord or the strain relief (spring) to avoid damaging the cord. Chaffing shouldn't be too bad and its quick to change if wear looks excessive.

#1 looks best. I would recommend strongly against putting it on the cord or the strain relief (spring) to avoid damaging the cord. Chaffing shouldn't be too bad and its quick to change if wear looks excessive.
1 is originally what I had done. I'll tie it here again.
Do you think a snap ring could work at the base, using 1 or both holes to tie off the bolt snap or am I just looking for trouble with a snap ring

@in too deep why do you want it pointing down when clipped off? If you need it pointed down for something specific, just hang it over your neck.
It's connected with an EO cord, I'd be concerned if it got disconnected
I usually leave it on during for buddy awareness, maybe I'll just get in the habit of turning it off and clip it using the goodman handle.

It's connected with an EO cord, I'd be concerned if it got disconnected
I usually leave it on during for buddy awareness, maybe I'll just get in the habit of turning it off and clip it using the goodman handle.

where is the connector? The rubber on the cable should be doing most of the work and if you gently hang it vs. drop it, it's a static vs a dynamic load and is much less likely to pull it out. Hanging from the neck is standard in the DIR community and many of them have EO cords. Go grab the plate and light and put it on. Hang it from your neck at the surface to double check. If it doesn't come off at the surface, it definitely won't in the water. If you're that concerned about it, you can tie a bolt snap on one end of the cord and put a small piece of bungee on the other one and clip it off which will hold it should they come accidentally disconnected

where is the connector? The rubber on the cable should be doing most of the work and if you gently hang it vs. drop it, it's a static vs a dynamic load and is much less likely to pull it out. Hanging from the neck is standard in the DIR community and many of them have EO cords. Go grab the plate and light and put it on. Hang it from your neck at the surface to double check. If it doesn't come off at the surface, it definitely won't in the water. If you're that concerned about it, you can tie a bolt snap on one end of the cord and put a small piece of bungee on the other one and clip it off which will hold it should they come accidentally disconnected

I'm diving tomorrow and will try it as you suggest. I bet its quick and convenient.
With regards to sharing air and the long hose wrapped , what's the procedure to not get tangled.
Trying to visualize

I'm diving tomorrow and will try it as you suggest. I bet its quick and convenient.
With regards to sharing air and the long hose wrapped , what's the procedure to not get tangled.
Trying to visualize

you typically are only hanging the light intermittently when you need both of your hands. You don't usually leave it on and clipped off for any length of time because the erratic motion can be easily confused for a call for attention and/or help. If you're on deco, you'd have a deco reg in your mouth that you'd be donating instead of the long hose, but either way if you're on deco I usually have my big lights turned off.

you typically are only hanging the light intermittently when you need both of your hands. You don't usually leave it on and clipped off for any length of time because the erratic motion can be easily confused for a call for attention and/or help. If you're on deco, you'd have a deco reg in your mouth that you'd be donating instead of the long hose, but either way if you're on deco I usually have my big lights turned off.
Thanks for clearing this up.

We (most folks I dive with) typically have a permanent bolt snap on the light handle and a loop tied on the rear of the light that a double ender is used with. The front snap is for 'permanently' stowing (failure, pre/post dive, etc) the light with it off. The loop is for temporarily stowing (gas switch, etc) the light and allows it to be on and point down so not to blind others. The double ender is kept on the right chest D ring and removed to attach to the loop then reclipped.
20200611_195958.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom