Where to wear a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just recently got a wrist mount dive computer and a DSS bungee mount. I have seen three prominent arm positions to mount it, and was wondering if there were any reason behind any of them or if it was all just personal preference. I have seen on top of the hand, with one bungee loop around the hand, one around the wrist, on the wrist (watch style), and way up on the forearm closer to the elbow than wrist.

Any reason for the positions?

I wear my gauges about halfway down my forearm. I can merely glance over at where my arm usually sits and read it there. On my wrist, I'd have to always bring my gauge to my face.

Also, note that suit compression will loosen the straps as you descend. If you have it on your wrist on the surface, you may have to push it up your forearm at depth.

I've never seen one worn on the top of the hand. Never even thought about trying that.

I wear mine far enough up the wrist so that it does not interfere with my gloves or wrist movement.

I wear it on the right arm so I can watch it while ascending and dump my BC with my left hand. The computer gets grumpy about ascent rate if you lift your hand too quickly.

I wear mine on the forearm. In warm water i wear it closer to the wrist but when diving dry it's further up owing to seals and gloves.

To echo Blackwood's comment i'd think ease of viewing is the key consideration. I also haven't seen a hand mount and it seems a bit awkward to me.

I can't imagine wearing it on the back of my hand -- it would be far away, and always getting in the way of things I wanted to do, I would think. I wear my just behind my dry glove rings, and twisted so that the face is immediately visible to me just by glancing down. I like my "dashboard".

i wear mine on the right arm just above my drysuit cuff. and then i have it angled so as i swim with my hands together all i have to do is look down to see it.

keeping a low profile and reducing drag is my point as to why i do it this way. it works for me. i alsp like it there, like the other poster said, so when i dump air from my bc and drysuit, i dont get an asscent rate alarm from moving my hand up to fast.

I where my Atom 2.0 on my right wrist but turned up behind my thumb. I find this to be best for easy viewing no matter what I'm doing.
If I'm wearing my VT3 I wear it a bit higher up my arm. Because of it's size being larger than the Atom I find it helps keep the computer stable in position.

never on the back of the hand (?)

with a wetsuit, i usually wear my computer like a watch, left wrist

with a drysuit, it ends up further up on the left arm forearm and tilted inward so i can see it without having to "twist" my arm

Usually left forearm, if I have my computer, otherwise my depth gauge goes in the same position. I prefer it there because I still wear a watch and as well I am often carrying a variety of cameras which are rigged for left hand hold. I need my right hand and arm free to manipulate things and occasionally grab my wife as she balloons off to the surface. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom