Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angra dos Reis, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil, in 1996. Lost count how many times went back there...

Guam at the Japanese oil piers. Went down and saw a Japanese Zero. Really cool!

Hi Gang,

Kind of an interesting story. My wife and I enjoy taking classes together, and she had recieved her open water from PADI in 1992, so in February of 2008 I suggested that we take SCUBA, and the shop I was going through, Gobe Divers in Denver (responsibly) recommended that she do a Skills Update while I was doing my open water. So we did that class together. Had a great time. We hadn't planned on an Open Water at that point...were thinking about doing something in the summer.

In the first week of March (right after finishing the OW Class and Pool), a good friend of mine who is an expert skier, ski instructor, etc. was actually killed on the slopes in Colorado, so it got me thinking. I was concerned that I had reverted to "driving a desk" too much and might in fact not go out doing something I loved doing, but was more likely to be found with an open bag of Cheeto's and a half a can of Mountain Dew at my desk, at which point, I'd get rolled out to the dumpster, chair and all, and simply replaced (sounds like corporate America these days, huh?).

Anyway, I digress. So the dive shop had a trip scheduled to TCI, Salt Cay (a *very* backwater and small island) that very week where two people had to drop for personal reasons. I asked them if I could assume one of the slots, and they said sure, but we leave tomorrow and you don't even have equipment yet...so I slapped down a *lot* of cash, got on-line and secured my own travel (fortunately I'm a seasoned traveler, so that was actually cheaper for me than the rest of the group :wink:), had my equipment fitted and tested, and literally picked it up, tags, manuals and all on my way to the airport the next morning.

So while I was doing my open water certifications, several pods of Humpback Whales came through (it's a time and place of migration for them - hence the destination) and we could constantly hear them "singing" in the background. That made me feel a lot more like I was "living" again, and I immediately fell in love with the sport. Here I am scantily over a year later, and am completing my SSI DiveCon - planning to continue.

Warm Regards,

-Spencer Yonker

This is a long thread...:)

My first dive was in more than 15 yrs ago in the Netherlands in the state of Zeeland. Although it was summer time I remember the water was quite cold. Now I would say ' it's isn't cold at all'. It was just a matter of getting used to it.

I got certified three years ago in Marathon, FL. I fell in love with diving immediately, 2.5 years later I moved to Marathon.

My first dive was in the Arvoredo Reserve off the coast of Bombinhas - Brazil.
That was less than 2 years ago when I did my OWD check-out. In that oportunity I did 7 more dives, including night&limited visibility check-out.
Since then I did 14 dives more. Unfortunatelly I live very far away from diving places.
However I did several baptism dives (uncertified) in the previous years until the summer of 2007 when I decided that I was falling in love with this activity.

My first open water dive was at Coki Beach, St. Thomas, VI. It was the summer of 1986, just before my senior year of high school. I only did the resort certification, then did two more dives under the "supervision" of my instructor. One of the dives was a wreck (the Cartanzar?) in the bay of a small island. My instructor took me inside every room of the wreck, even the engine room. There were pots on the stove in the galley. My third dive was a wall dive. Saw a shark and went down to 100 feet. Now I realize that a few rules were broken on those dives...

South florida. The sea emperor. With huge waves and a moderate to strong current. Was disorientating as hell for a first water entry...

Back
Top Bottom