• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Where/when is it safe to dive?

Discussion in 'Grumpy Old Divers' started by timetraveler, Jul 27, 2020.

1. timetraveler

timetraveler Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I can't imagine that diving in itself would be a COVID-19 risk, but flying, staying in a resort, eating in a restaurant, sailing on a dive boat, interacting with dive masters and other divers, renting gear, buying air, etc. might be. So where is it safe to dive and when? Are we going to have to take a refresher coarse when/if it's finally safe to dive again?

2. txgoose

txgoose ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I think with proper care and attention to some details, diving isn't much more "at risk" than going to the grocery store or post office. My last trip to the post office was much more crowded than my last boat dive off Jupiter.

The answers are going to be wide ranging depending on each respondents tolerance for the risks.
    The answers are going to be wide ranging depending on each respondents definition of the risks.

You opened this can of worms. Hang on. :)

AfterDark and Ana like this.
  3. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have flown down to Florida, West Palm, twice, once in June and once in July. Airports in Philadelphia and West Palm had everyone in masks. Everyone wore masks on the flights. My car rentals at National had everyone in masks and a cleaning checklist on the rearview mirror. I am lucky that I have my own townhouse. I went to the grocery store once, everyone wore a mask. My only other exposure was on the dive boats, half load, no more than 10 on the dive deck, masks when not diving. I've been back home for 5 days, so far, so good.
    Back in the high life again
    Back in the high life, part 2

AfterDark likes this.
  4. Chavodel8en

Chavodel8en Manta Ray

Local shore diving. The only time you must be within 10 feet of anyone is once you descend.

AfterDark likes this.
  5. cpace

cpace Nassau Grouper

Looks like your from Florida. If so, please stay in your own state. Florida is a Covid-19 clusterf**k.

6. timetraveler

timetraveler Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Where is "local" for you?

7. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    If I lived in your neck of the woods...I’d run down to Blue Heron Bridge or Lauderdale by the Sea and do some shore diving. The only time you have to interact with anyone is when you get cylinders filled (wear a mask and you should be good).

Get a room on the beach (or make the two hour drive that day) and bust out some shore dives.

I’ll be hitting a local shore dive spot next Friday (will be my first time diving this year). Judging from the pictures I see posting up on their Facebook page, I’ll be the only one walking around with a mask on.

AfterDark likes this.
  8. Chavodel8en

Chavodel8en Manta Ray

2 hour drive from Oakland to Monterey/Carmel.

Earlier this year, I couldn't dive b/c the State of California had restrictions on traveling between counties, and Monterey County was not really welcoming any outsiders, and all the dive shops were closed.

For now, the pool is open again. I am concerned the same restrictions as above will be re-instituted.

I dont know if you have any shore diving near you. If not, then my suggestion wasnt really helpful.

9. Ghost95

Ghost95 Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    We will as long as everyone else stays away from Florida.