Where Would Go To Do A "rescue" Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
if you all had your choice to choose any instructor or dive shop to do a "rescue" diver course (any agency) which one would you choose ? lets try an keep suggestions to options in canada, usa, mexico, or the caribbean. perhaps provide a brief explanation on the reasons for your decision.
thx

My local shop, Underwaterphantaseas in Lakewood Colorado does a n excellent rescue diver class during the months of June through September at a local reservoir. The water is cool (60-67F) and viz is a bit limited, varying from 6 feet to 15 or 20 feet. It lends itself to meaningful search and rescue exercises, and honing of all rescue related skills. I think the conditions make for great scenarios, and our instructional staff is tops.
DivemasterDennis

I would find a good local instructor and do it at home. The only stuff I would take on a trip would be classes I couldn't do locally -- stuff like cave, advanced wreck, etc

I don't see any reason to go far for this course. I assume there are competent instructors in every agency, and I am sure such instructors can be found just about anywhere. This is not an extremely challenging course to teach. It is definitely not like tech diving, where you may want to travel up to 2,000 miles (as I have) to get the class with the instructor you want.

Aside from the guy here at my LDS, I'd would take it with Jim Lapenta.....

There are many who can teach it, so interview them, and find the one who will meet your needs. I'd never take a class on a vacation.... I'm on a vacation to vacation.....

I take classes on vacation all the time. Doing something other than work is what I want on vacation. But this is doable as a local course over a couple of weekends.

I just thought I would add to my last comment. I know a whole lot of instructors in many locations, and I don't know why I would recommend any of them. People don't talk about their rescue diver instructors all that much, so people don't have much of a reputation. Moreover, the dive instructors with the great reputations have those reputations for teaching courses other than rescue. It is very possible that an instructor who does a fabulous job teaching a number of different courses and has a well deserved reputation for quality has not taught a rescue class in many years and might not do so well.

Although the class as a whole is not that difficult to teach, there are several skills that are unique to the course, and if you do not teach the course for years, you will be out of practice. When I was becoming an instructor, the Course Director teaching my instructor training class told me of an experience he had. I don't remember the circumstance, but it was some sort of training session in which everyone there was a Course Director--the highest level of OW instructor in the agency. They had to do one of the rescue diver activities, and they were struggling with it because they had not done it themselves in years. You might well have been better off with a brand new instructor who was well practiced in the skills than these highly trained and experienced instructor trainers.

if you all had your choice to choose any instructor or dive shop to do a "rescue" diver course (any agency) which one would you choose ? lets try an keep suggestions to options in canada, usa, mexico, or the caribbean. perhaps provide a brief explanation on the reasons for your decision.
thx
Come on vacation AND take your Rescue Class here in offshore Southern California/Los Angeles, home of one out of only two Recompression Chambers in the US dedicated 24/7 365 solely for diving accidents, and of Instructors & EMS Professionals who have extensive experience treating dive casualties over many years. . .

The best most comprehensive recreational non-professional Rescue Diver Course is held once a year by the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber on Santa Catalina Island/Southern California. You will learn and participate in the entire chain of care for the emergency treatment of dive accident casualties -from First Responder to working with LA County Baywatch Paramedics, to transport & delivery of the patient at the Recompression Chamber on Catalina Island.

Emergency Response Diver > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

http://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/222/docs/ERD_General_Schedule.pdf

Volunteer > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

Last edited:
One major shop here and I would take it from pretty much any of the instructors (did that), having assisted most of them. Agree in staying as close to home as possible. From what I read, how vigorous and comprehensive the course is does vary quite a bit from instructor to instructor, no matter where you go. I guess you'd just have to interview any or all instructors you are considering. The student should keep in mind that regardless of instructor (and I assume agency to a point), the knowledge and procedures are all the same--it's just how they're presented. For example, the instructor I had (now a CD) had a very particular way of what you do when finding an unconscious diver on the bottom before you begin the standard way to bring him up.

this looks like it would be amazing

Back
Top Bottom