Where Would Go To Do A "rescue" Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took it from my LDS last December. Open-water in Dec in New England; water was ~46F. Worked out well, because the course required some significant exertion levels at times. Using heavy gloves added a bit of difficulty to the course that a tropical location wouldn't have had.

I've probably assisted with more rescue classes than the number of dive classes I've taken. I suggest you take the class where you will do most of your diving, or in similar conditions, so you get the best taining and feel for realistic conditions and scenarios you'll encounter in your diving. Then find the best instructor you can for the area.

The rescue class is like drinking from a fire hose. If you can master and retain 20% of what is covered in the class you're doing good. A year later if you really remember anything and can perform you're exceptional. Unlike most skills taught in dive classes, hopefully you'll never need or practice what you learn in the rescue class. The best thing to do is after your rescue class to keep coming back and helping by playing victim for future rescue classes. You will be amazed at how much more you learn that way than you actually did in the class, and it will keep you relatively current on the knowledge from the class
Not done a rescue course yet so I may be replying out of turn but I used to be a first aid trainer (about 10 years) and also trained in casualty simulation for first aid. I learned more about how to handle a real casualty while I was acting in that role than I ever did as a first aider or trainer.

The FA course was fine for learning the basic skills but the casualty role was where you really found out how best to apply it in real life.

If you already have the first aid training and experience, and/or lifeguard training, the rescue diver course will be a LOT easier. I have been certified multiple times with various agencies for first aid, CPR, life-saving and lifeguarding, so the only things really new to me were skills and considerations that were SCUBA-specific. Much of the in-water work was just an extension of above-water lifeguard / lifesaving skills.

I'm in the same boat, actually!

Local waters are 45-55F (yikes!) and I wanted to do my Rescue course. I'm heading down to Southern California to do it mid July. Warmer waters and I know of a great Course Director down at Malibu Divers (Barbara). They did my AOW certification out in Catalina and even though she wasn't my "official" instructor on my c-card, she was there the whole time and she and her entire team are really awesome. Plus, warmer water? Yes, please!

Budget and time aside, if I could go anywhere to do it....probably Hawaii or Mexico for warm water and viz. I actually really like Pro Dive Mexico out of Cozumel and PDC. My buddy got his AOW out there and their entire operation and crew are fantastic.

My friend did her rescue with Sea to Sky dive shop in Vancouver, BC and they had an instructor who pretty much only taught rescue, was fantastic, and was friends with the coast guard so they came to demonstrate some stuff. everyone was in dry suits (and lots of weight) so there was an extra challenge in gear removal and carrying "unconscious" individuals off the beach.
If you are looking for a challenging experience that will truly test your abilities and teach you more than the normal course then i would recommend them.
the good thing about learning in cold water is that from there it only gets easier, you can be confident in your skills in almost any situation

+1 on doing it in
My friend did her rescue with Sea to Sky dive shop in Vancouver, BC and they had an instructor who pretty much only taught rescue, was fantastic, and was friends with the coast guard so they came to demonstrate some stuff. everyone was in dry suits (and lots of weight) so there was an extra challenge in gear removal and carrying "unconscious" individuals off the beach.
If you are looking for a challenging experience that will truly test your abilities and teach you more than the normal course then i would recommend them.
the good thing about learning in cold water is that from there it only gets easier, you can be confident in your skills in almost any situation

+1 on doing it in cold water. If you can handle it there, you can be confident in your ability handle most situations. The heavier gloves add a significant amount of trouble to many of the skills.

The ole "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" approach works far better than the "hope for the best and prepare as such".. As a trained first responder let me tell you, your "plan" goes out the window at contact.

Back
Top Bottom