Where would you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amyeunice

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
I joined last week and posted under the "Snorkel-Freediving" forum but thought this forum would be more appropriate for my question. I've read a lot of the posts here but mine is specific to shore access snorkling. I hope you can help me out with my dilemma.

My spouse and I have been snorkel traveling since 2003. We now are geared up as almost-divers = 3 mm full wet suits, etc. just no tanks. We prefer shore access since we can spend multiple hours in the water, which makes the usual boat tours impossible (impossible for the other people on the boat 'cuz we won't get out of the water!). For health reasons we haven't gotten into diving but hope to sometime in the future.

We've been snorkeling off of Caye Caulker and Ambegris, Belize; Bocas del Toro, Panama; Puerto Viejo, Costa Rico; Bonaire; and 2x to St John (favorite spot = the open water side of Waterlemon Cay!).

The question: Can anyone help me find a new snorkel destination for this winter? It must be Caribbean, healthy coral and diverse underwater wildlife, preferably shore access (see above), coral visible within 20 ft., and not wildly expensive for flights or accommodations. Any suggestions?

I've thought about Tobago - will that stand up to my criteria? Is the current too strong for snorkling? Roatan seems too expensive for flights right now. I've been hearing a lot about the Caymans from this site...So many places, I need help!

I look forward to all of your responses,
Enjoy!

If you liked Bonaire, Curacao is pretty much the same in terms of shore access, corals etc. Grand Cayman has some good snorkeling at the west end of the island. Roatan IMHO is an unlikely snorkeling destination, unless you go with the divers on a boat. As for the prices, the general rule is "cheap tickets mean expensive accomodations" and vice versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom