WHERE'S THE FIRE???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can get strong currents here but they’re not tidal. Think Gulf Stream circulation driven. That’s why most of the diving in places like Cozumel & Palm Beach County FL is drift diving. We can definitely get 2 kt currents. They’re just not tidal and therefore aren’t regular in terms of periodicity. Some dives the current is virtually nonexistent while other dives you’re sailing over the reef.

Some of our shore diving site ARE tidal such as Blue Heron Bridge due to its location in a large lagoon with a sizable inlet. Most parts of that site need to be dived at or near slack tide ideally high slack tide.

Am so looking forwards to being released from purgatory prison lockdown and being able to go diving at all, but really want to go and experience diving in Florida and Cozumel (not to mention the amazing Cenotes). One of the great things about an international forum such as this.

The other thing we get in the south of the UK and northern France is a large tidal range; 7 metres (22ft) isn't uncommon. Diving out of Dover is easier if leaving on low water (walking down the steep ramp) and back at higher water (walking up the shallower ramp).

Find a regular dive buddy that doesn't race all over the place and go for leisurely dives, you'll see more and appreciate the UW environment.

I've dived some local wrecks and seen people pass me several times when I barely have time to circumnavigate the entire wreck. Then back on the boat me and my buddy discover that they've seen nothing during their brief dive.

The older I get the less I like dealing with day-boat diving. When I'm on vacation I want to get up when I like, go diving when I like, do as many dives as I please and not be scheduled. I guess that's why I keep going back to Bonaire - mellowest dive vacations ever.

Find a regular dive buddy that doesn't race all over the place and go for leisurely dives, you'll see more and appreciate the UW environment.

I've dived some local wrecks and seen people pass me several times when I barely have time to circumnavigate the entire wreck. Then back on the boat me and my buddy discover that they've seen nothing during their brief dive.
Agree of course. If you are not the many of us who don't travel with known buddies and get paired with whoever at the dock (different thread).

My experience is (luckily) totally different to yours.

We are asked to be at the dive operator by 8 AM for a 9 AM departure. This gives the operator plenty of time to insure everyone has what they need including their choice of lunch. Then before the boat departs there is a greeting with a bit of comedy to loosen up the customers followed by a roll call and safety briefing.

The boat departs for the destination of the first dive. If some interesting wildlife such as dolphins, whales or sharks are encountered the boat stops so everyone can get some photos and we enjoy the wildlife.

When we arrive at the first of two dive sites the skipper spends time to tell everyone about the dive site while the crew go about setting up gear for those that require help (usually people renting equipment).

Those of us already familiar with the dive site and our own gear are free to suit up and splash without having to wait on the others.

After everyone gets back on board after the first dive, the skipper takes the boat and does a out an hours tour of interesting places while heading to the second dive site. We can eat a leisurely lunch while degassing.

The second dive is conducted pretty much like the first with a briefing. After the second dive we head back, again stopping if there is anything interesting to look at. We usually get back anywhere between 3:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon.

Hot drinks are offered after each dive.

This is how things are done with my choice of operators (Dive Tutukaka) in New Zealand. I have been out with other dive operators in New Zealand and they all operate much the same way.

I used to work in the same area and the procedure was so similar to ours I thought you were talking about my old op for a while there.

The New Zealand dives sounds great. But do note that prices for a two tank dive trip are around double those typical for the places the OP has been. Our Rates - Dive! Tutukaka

If I'm reading this right, a 2 tank trip without gear rental except tanks is $259 New Zealand which is currently $187 US. Compare this to Aldora which is the high end at Cozumel at $95 for the same thing - Aldora Divers

You can charter a 6-person boat including DM in Coz and dive whatever schedule you like for the cost of 3 or 4 standard fares at NZ rates.

Huh I hadn't realised how cheap charters are in other countries. I think part of the reason for higher prices here is that here charters are only once a day, they will leave around 9 and return at 2pm if there's only 5/6 divers on the boat but can arrive back around 4pm if it's a full 12 person boat. The reason for that is we usually do a deep dive first then a shallow dive for dsds and refreshers/courses while the deep divers have a surface interval then a final moderate depth dive to finish the day.

The New Zealand dives sounds great. But do note that prices for a two tank dive trip are around double those typical for the places the OP has been. Our Rates - Dive! Tutukaka

If I'm reading this right, a 2 tank trip without gear rental except tanks is $259 New Zealand which is currently $187 US. Compare this to Aldora which is the high end at Cozumel at $95 for the same thing - Aldora Divers

You can charter a 6-person boat including DM in Coz and dive whatever schedule you like for the cost of 3 or 4 standard fares at NZ rates.

True. New Zealand is an isolated country with a population of about 1/3 that of Los Angeles. Unless we grow it or manufacture it the costs are high. Gasoline/petrol costs the equivalent of US$5.75 a gallon. Paying US$187 for a full day of entertainment and exercise diving in one of the ten best dive sites in the world is still worth it in my opinion. Since we are surrounded by ocean, shore dives are available to most of us if we don't want to pay.

The older I get the less I like dealing with day-boat diving. When I'm on vacation I want to get up when I like, go diving when I like, do as many dives as I please and not be scheduled. I guess that's why I keep going back to Bonaire - mellowest dive vacations ever.
Yeah, same. In N. Fla. sometimes I'd get up at 4:30, drive 2-3 hours to the dock for a 7:30 departure. I HATE mornings. Then we're back like 1 P.M. Since this may be the only boat going out for a month in winter I always wondered why not leave later, like 9-10 A.M.?

Back
Top Bottom