Which Apeks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benwood

Reaction score
First, I'd like to thank all of you who have helped me narrow my choice down to Apeks.

Now comes the last piece of my search for the right regulator for me. How do I choose between the TX100 and TX50? I know that the second stages are identical, I know the TX50 has a swivel on the first stage, and I know that the TX100 has a satin finish.

Now, I don't understand the pros/cons of a swivel vs. no swivel. Also, although I'm sure there are other real differences betweem them, I have no clue what they are.

Once again, I'll defer to the collective wisdom of all of you.

While I know the Atomic is a great reg, I've eliminated it from consideration because I just don't have that high a comfort level w/the accessible Atomic dealers. The 2 dealera that I both like and respect most sells Apeks, Mares and Scuba Pro. I had a Mares Abyss and loved the performance, but hated the poor ergonomics caused by the stiff hose. I hear repeatedly how SP is now over-priced and living off of an excellent reputation from the past.

So, that's how I'm down to Apeks.

Thanks again for all your help. As my diving knowledge and experience grow, I hope to pay it back someday.

I like the Tx-50 first stages with the Sealed Swivel second stages. They route the hoses nicely and if you go to doubles, they are very clean.

Eric

From a performance (or maybe not) standpoint, the TX100 first stage port for the primary is 1/2" thread (higher flow) as opposed to 3/8" or 7/16" (can't remember which) port on the TX50 first stage. It basically means that there is a specific hose that has to go on the TX100 while off the shelf hoses will fit the TX50.

JoelW

Benwood,

First of all, check your e-mail.

Regarding swivels on the first stage -- it's somewhat of a personal preference thing that you have to check out for yourself. A swivel on the first stage simply means that instead of the first stage being immovable when you connect it to the tank, the part of the first stage where the hose ports are is a swivel, giving you some "play" when you pull on the hoses

When I first started diving, none of the rentals I used had swivels. As I heard about brands with swivels, I thought that would be the way to go -- more flexibility with the angle at which the hoses are coming off of the first stage. That being said, went I rented a reg with a swivel for the first time (Oceanic Delta III), I found the swivel to be irritating in that it didn't keep my hoses where I wanted them as well as my experience with non-swivel regs. This was not a MAJOR irritant, just took a little getting used to. I find it interesting that the standard TX-100 first stage comes with no swivel while the TX-50 has a swivel. For many other brands, the swivel is on their more expensive models -- with Apeks, it's the reverse.

Hope this helps.

The 2nd stages aren't identical. The TX100 is a little smaller and a tad lighter. It looks different as well. The shop that I bought my TX50 from tried their best to swing me to the TX100. They even went as far as to set one up for me before I arrived in anticipation that I'd buy it instead of the TX50. LOL, no dice. Other than the cosmetic differences, the TX100 supposely breaths a little better than the TX50, is less suspectable to tarnish (due to the satin finish), and (as a matter of opinion) the hose routing is easier due to the 1st stage. But my observation was that I can't tell any difference in breathing between either the TX40, 50 or 100. It may be there, but I couldn't tell it. I like the swiveled DST 1st stage better than the TX100's 1st. It's not the swivel, it's just it's appearance in general and is a personal choice rather than a technical one. The swiveled 2nd stages are absolutely fabulous. That takes all the up/down stress away when it's in your mouth. I can't remember if the TX100 had this or not, but I believe it did. I've dove regs where I had to adjust the position of the hose at the 2nd stage several times during the dive, never again. I really don't think you'll go wrong with either reg, just pick the one that you like the best and enjoy it. They are great regs.

Warhammer,

I was going back over some of the old posts on this site regarding reg choices. At one point you were considering the Atomic B1, Scubapro S600 and the Apeks -- what made you choose the Apeks over the others?

The swivel does nothing for me... I'd go with the fixed one if I bought one again.

Mike

While I'm not rich by any means, probably the poorest soul that frequents this board LOL, I was willing to spend whatever it took to get what I wanted, so money wasn't an issue. At first I thought the shop that I was dealing with was a dealer for ScubaPro, Atomic, and Apeks (my 3 choices) , but as it turned out, he only dealt Atomic and Apeks; amoung a few others including Zeagle, Aqualung, Oceanic, Genesis, and Seaquest. Scubapro was available a few miles up the road, though. I had dove Zeagle/Apeks regs almost exclusively, except while vacation diving, was most familiar with them and liked them except for 1 nagging feature (they breathed a little wet). I went back and forth for months and months, looked at all 3 in the stores. It came down to the little things. Apeks' reputation, years in the field, and general feel in my mouth and the little attentions to detail is what won me over. The exhaust T on the Apeks line is very comfortable for me and the way they designed the front cover makes it very easy to disassemble and when you put it back on, there is no lining it up so that the logo is straight, it always goes back on right the first time. It's almost bulletproof, has 0 bubble interference, breaths dry in any position, breaths extremely easy at all depths I've had it so far and is built to last. Probably the final straw that swung me to the Apeks line was that it was reccommended to me over the Atomic by the shop owner, even though the Atomic was a tad higher and he carries both. And I got that "don't like it, your money back or another reg" guarantee. So theoretically, I could take it with me tommorow to his shop and swap it for an Atomic if I wanted too, but you can bet I won't. As I've said before, out of all the gear I own, thses are my babies and I wouldn't swap them for any other reg on the market. Well, except maybe the Atomic Ti1, which I'd promptly sell so I could buy 2 sets of Apeks regs.:)

My only complaint and it isn't really a complaint, is I'd rather have an octo that is designed similair to Aqualungs LPO. I bought one of those for my wife, and it is small, out of the way and breaths in any position. However, I could easily buy another Apeks 1st stage and attach my TX40 octo to it and have another suberb reg set. Couldn't do that with the LPO. So it's not really a complaint, just that the LPO better suits it's purpose.

I can't knock the other 2, though. They are great regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom