Which area is DIN valve popular at?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
Dear all,

I'm an Asian diver, I seldom see DIN tank around Southeast Asia dive shop here (except tech diver). I understand that 1. Yoke tank is more common around the world. 2. It's easy to adapt two different connector. However, I'm still curious that which country or area's recreational diving use DIN tank more? Germany? Or most of the European countries? How about UK?

The benefit? It can make a difference if you are traveling.

North America tends more towards yoke, with tech again tending to DIN. Many divers I know that own their own tanks, though, myself included, go to DIN.

Convertible valves are common here making it less of an issue.

Hi @nijoom,
Well, as I mentioned, I know it won't be a big issue, but I'm just curious. I want to dive around the world one day. Since I never been to other places except some dive sites in Asia, I really want to hear stories/condition at other places. Just want to learn more from people in different countries at this international forum, nothing special. :)

Hi @nijoom,
Well, as I mentioned, I know it won't be a big issue, but I'm just curious. I want to dive around the world one day. Since I never been to other places except some dive sites at Asia, I really want to hear stories/condition at other places. Just want to learn more, nothing special. :)
Yoke will get you diving just about everywhere in the world. DIN for tech stuff.

I bought a yoke reg for traveling simply because yoke is far more common.

Thanks @PfcAJ, I understood that yoke is more popular so far. I'm still curious is there any area that DIN is more common even in recreational diving? (Germany? UK? or..?)

Thanks @PfcAJ, I understood that yoke is more popular so far. I'm still curious is there any area that DIN is more common even in recreational diving? (Germany? UK? or..?)
Maybe some specialty shops that cater to tech divers would have DIN options but in my limited European experience yoke would be ok.

DIN is a superior connection though, just not popular.

In the UK A clamp is rarer amoung people who dive here rather than just on holiday. Older kit might be A clamp too. You will not get a strange look for using DIN, but you might for using A clamp.

DIN is supposed to be a lot more popular in Europe, but that's reputation.

DIN isn't just "more popular" in Scandinavia, it's the current standard and yoke/A-clamp is considered obsolete.

I've dived on vacation in Italy, France and the Canary Islands, and DIN seemed to be standard there as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom