which bcd for padi instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elZub right now if you already own a BCD or BP/W I would stick with that configuration and keep diving. There is no substitute for dive experience on the road to Dive Professional. Learn as much as you can, dive as much as you can afford and worry about the equipment when it is more appropriate to choose one method over another or even both. Your dive preferences will change over time, so just enjoy the trip.

Happy Bubbles,

~Oldbear~
tnx old bear!
i understood reading here in scubaboard and talking with several instructor that the best way to teach is to use the same kind of equipment that students use.

for the moment i will enjoy diving, with a new bc, a pb/w.
when and where i will go pro, i will use the propper equipment for each teaching, training section.

there was one candidate in a BP/W and the course director basically never made him be a victim for any of the rescue scenarios (i.e. very difficult to get someone out of the BP/W without cutting the webbing). For the IE, he and I bought some additional webbing. If he was selected to be the victim during the rescue evaluation, I would volunteer as the rescuer and cut him out of his rig. In the end he was never selected to be a victim.
so there isn't a problem to do the IE with bp/w.
btw, as i said i understood that could be better use a jacket style just for the sameness among the other cadidates.

Good luck to your professional career in scuba diving.

tnx! :)

How can you do a monkey-see, monkey-do demo to a student on something like BCD removal if your wing harness has no releases or clips and theirs has a ton? Weight belt remove/replace the same. Generally i use a battered BCD for confined water then my wing and long hose for open water.
gotcha!
icosm14.gif

Here's the thing elZub, there is no specific type of gear requirement for PADI. You can teach in a bp/w, you can take the IDC/IE in a bp/w. there is nothing against the rules. I did my entire DM course wearing a bp/w (one piece harness, no breaks). In the pool, I used my single tank set-up. When I assist with classes, I am in my twinset (and I'm hoglooped). The dive shop I work with has no issue with this. They actually appreciate that I can thoroughly explain the similarities and differences with it. I have been the donor in OOA scenarios with students, and I primary donate. It does not confuse them. It does, however, teach them another method of AAS.
When demoing skills such as BCD removal and replace, I would signal to the students to remember that they had a chest clip and to tighten their shoulder straps. They all seemed to manage without any issue. Yes, I could have borrowed a jacket from the shop, but I don't like a standard jacket. i do not find them comfortable.
As long as you can explain the differences, and still remind them what they need to do in their kit, it's not an issue, nor should it be.

Zero to hero is in my view never good.
i'm not a zero, and i won't be a hero!
04.gif

Yes...in 3 years of diving your profile says you have done less than 49 dives.Teaching has a lot to do with the teachers experience how can you teach if you aren't experienced?
I know I am going to flack for this from the zero to hero crowd.

hi eastenddiver,

3 years since i got certified,
most of the dives i've done were during last year, cause i got the diving bug! :wink:

for sure you need experience to teach, or even just to fun dives.
i thought but maybe i'm wrong that experiences is not something related about how many times you do a specific task, but how much effort and passion you put in it.
most of the time routine destroy the experience.
sometime a willing person is like a sponge who absorb and makes own all the skills he gained during the day,
an old sponge cannot absorbe like a new one!
this is my personal thought outside diving.
maybe in diving is different.
and btw 45 dives did in 45 different conditions and enviroment are not the same as 45 dives did in the same conditions and enviroments.

i know that having 1000 logged dives would be great before start a career in the diving industry, but perhaps if before 1000 dives i didn't have the willing, or desire to became a pro i could remain an "expert" scuba diver :)

but now i have dream, hope to make my dream come true.

all the best

And if a OW instructor candidate is confused by a slightly different piece of kit, they don't belong on an IE.

And if a OW instructor candidate is confused by a slightly different piece of kit, they don't belong on an IE.

Do they belong to an IE if they pull out a knife to cut one wearing BP/W out of a webbing? How would you feel if a fellow IE candidate pulls out a knife and gets you out of the webbing? After all one was not confused and applied proper rescue technique.

Do they belong to an IE if they pull out a knife to cut one wearing BP/W out of a webbing? How would you feel if a fellow IE candidate pulls out a knife and gets you out of the webbing? After all one was not confused and applied proper rescue technique.
i replace the webbing, simple as. it would take me about 30 minutes (probably less) to get it set-up again.

i'm not a zero, and i won't be a hero!
04.gif

hi eastenddiver,

3 years since i got certified,
most of the dives i've done were during last year, cause i got the diving bug! :wink:

for sure you need experience to teach, or even just to fun dives.
i thought but maybe i'm wrong that experiences is not something related about how many times you do a specific task, but how much effort and passion you put in it.
most of the time routine destroy the experience.
sometime a willing person is like a sponge who absorb and makes own all the skills he gained during the day,
an old sponge cannot absorbe like a new one!
this is my personal thought outside diving.
maybe in diving is different.
and btw 45 dives did in 45 different conditions and enviroment are not the same as 45 dives did in the same conditions and enviroments.

i know that having 1000 logged dives would be great before start a career in the diving industry, but perhaps if before 1000 dives i didn't have the willing, or desire to became a pro i could remain an "expert" scuba diver :)

but now i have dream, hope to make my dream come true.

all the best

You have a lot to learn about diving.The more things become second nature the safer and easier diving becomes as long as you don't become complacent.

Don't kid yourself about "an old sponge" I've been diving for almost 40 years and I still learn new things about diving.

Good Luck.

A properly adjusted BPW does not need to be cut. You undo the crotch strap, undo the waist belt, and slide it out from under the victim when you get to a place you can do that. Truthfully I am more likely to cut a real victim out of some conglomeration of buckles and straps than waste time undoing them. In an IE I'd recognize and applaud the quick decision making of an instructor pulling out a knife or cutter and using it on someone's BPW. Hell for what an examiner gets paid from what I hear I'd even replace the 15 bucks worth of webbing.:wink:

---------- Post added July 27th, 2014 at 03:53 PM ----------

And if I was the victim using a BPW I'd take my oldest one that may be in need of new webbing to start with. Planning it is called:D.

A properly adjusted BPW does not need to be cut. You undo the crotch strap, undo the waist belt, and slide it out from under the victim when you get to a place you can do that. Truthfully I am more likely to cut a real victim out of some conglomeration of buckles and straps than waste time undoing them. In an IE I'd recognize and applaud the quick decision making of an instructor pulling out a knife or cutter and using it on someone's BPW. Hell for what an examiner gets paid from what I hear I'd even replace the 15 bucks worth of webbing.:wink:

---------- Post added July 27th, 2014 at 03:53 PM ----------

And if I was the victim using a BPW I'd take my oldest one that may be in need of new webbing to start with. Planning it is called:D.

The issue in IE is that you don't have the luxury of missing the 5 count or you fail your Rescue #7 scenario. In real life yes, you miss by a little, pack 2 breaths and continue. We are strictly talking IE here where demonstration skills are required. 1...2....3...inhale...simulate rescue breath... somewhere in those 1-3 you have time to do something. :)

Back
Top Bottom