Which cave has killed the most divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it did bring to life what real people do for other people.

I agree, and more, without the higher level of human compassion, it would just be a dry presentation of past technology.
Far from putting people off, exiting dramatizations and daring exploits attract interested people who then get sorted when they learn how much work/money/time they have to invest to get there.
A more dangerous movie are ones featuring street racing, which any knucklehead can try doing right outside the movie theatre, (which was almost myself after I saw "Fate of the Furious" TWICE!)

Wreck diving community is largely ok with Andria Doria being known as the "Mount Everest" of wreck diving. There is still debate whether Doria deserves that term or not but there are charters that advertise their trips using that term because the title brings in divers from all over the world. One NJ boat charter also lists the names of all divers who died diving the Andrea Doria on their site and if you are able to find him on his website you will see that the list of names is followed by ...

Death Is Nothing At All

Death is nothing at all...I have only
slipped away into the next room...I am I,
and you are you...whatever we were to
each other that we are still. Call me by
my old familiar name; speak to me in the
easy way which you always used. Put no
difference into your tone; wear no forced
air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we
always laughed at the little jokes we
enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of
me, and pray for me.

I also remember the line from "Shadow Divers" which goes something like "Everyone who does deep wreck diving will either die, see someone die or come very close to death himself." My instructor was inspired by the Shadow Divers to take up wreck diving and so is an entire generation of wreck divers. I am thinking of a conversation in which I am trying to convince Robert Kurson not to write his famous novel because it will be bad for wreck diving. I really do not know where to begin such a talk.

This thread has convinced me that there is no equivalent of K2 in caves so there is no equivalent of Edmund Hillary in cave diving. This makes cave divers totally unworthy of a movie. Next time someone asks why are there no good movies on diving then this thread can be pulled as a reference.
Dude one name sheck exley.

Dude one name sheck exley.

Sure but since he died during a Cenote dive, according to the political correctness police on scubaboard, making a movie on him would be presenting cave diving as dangerous and that will cause the caves in Florida to be shut down and I will be the one to blame.

I will repeat ...

CAVE DIVING IS NOT DANGEROUS! THERE IS NOTHING HEROIC ABOUT PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE EXTREME PENETRATIONS.

That should make folks happy.

Sure but since he died during a Cenote dive, according to the political correctness police on scubaboard, making a movie on him would be presenting cave diving as dangerous and that will cause the caves in Florida to be shut down and I will be the one to blame.

I will repeat ...

CAVE DIVING IS NOT DANGEROUS! THERE IS NOTHING HEROIC ABOUT PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE EXTREME PENETRATIONS.

Sheck did some extreme penetrations, but that was not what killed him. He was going for depth, and he was going straight down on his fatal dive. Yes, it was in a cave, but that is a technicality. He was not penetrating the overhead.

That's an interesting point that we don't see the families of mountaineering victims moving to close mountains to climbers. What is it specifically about caves that motivates victims' families to move to close a cave?
Because they can.

Closing off a cave is easy, it doesn't bother a lot of locals, being dark and underground it's clearly evil, and it feels like you've served just vengeance.

What are you going to do with a mountain, drill a deep hole and place a nuke inside? Well... maybe after WW3, when we nuke each other, recover, and everyone alive is "oh, so nukes weren't that big of a deal".

Because they can.

Closing off a cave is easy, it doesn't bother a lot of locals, being dark and underground it's clearly evil, and it feels like you've served just vengeance.

I agree. I think we humans have an instinctive bias against something we associate with the "underworld."

What are you going to do with a mountain, drill a deep hole and place a nuke inside? Well... maybe after WW3, when we nuke each other, recover, and everyone alive is "oh, so nukes weren't that big of a deal".

It wouldn't be difficult to close a mountain to climbers. Many of the popular ones are well trodden, in national parks, etc. Rangers could impose fines. Yet we don't see this happening. The human mind sees mountains as nature's glory, reaching skyward toward heaven. Caves go in the other direction.

not me, cave diving is dangerous and some people are in fact brave (but not heroic) in their extreme penetrations. Is the risk/benefit decision they took one that most should consider acceptable? Not so much. Did some absolutely plan so poorly that they just got lucky? you bet'ya. Many of them weren't brave, just stupid. Do some people look at the extreme penetrations that are poorly planned and safely executed and think that level of planning etc is OK?, yes unfortunately.

I agree. I think we humans have an instinctive bias against something we associate with the "underworld."

It wouldn't be difficult to close a mountain to climbers. Many of the popular ones are well trodden, in national parks, etc. Rangers could impose fines. Yet we don't see this happening. The human mind sees mountains as nature's glory, reaching skyward toward heaven. Caves go in the other direction.
dang, you are being quite deep today, and yes almost spiritual

It wouldn't be difficult to close a mountain to climbers. Many of the popular ones are well trodden, in national parks, etc. Rangers could impose fines. Yet we don't see this happening.
It wouldn't feel the same. Things like that get personal. If you blow a cave up, it's gone, dead, you've killed the killer. Any mountain close-off is fleeting, easily bypassed, and it still stands there taunting you.

But mostly, yes, it's because we can see our mountains and like to see them; we don't like or don't care to see our caves.

Back
Top Bottom