Which cenotes for training? GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which cenotes might I end up diving in? Are there any specific sites popular for training cave students?

Ponderosa, X-Tabay/Chikin Ha, Taj Ma Ha, and Carwash are all very popular training caves.

Another question: what is the opinion of students wearing a GoPro?

Sounds like you've answered that question already.

I understand my focus needs to be 100% on training not videoing

In the GUE and UTD classes I have been in or worked with divers are videoed by an assistant, not the supervising instructor. And we wipe the video after class, its to help show students their strong and weak points not advertise to others.
I've been the person doing the filming in a class or two, it's a big challenge to maintain trim, buoyancy and get to the right spot to see what the instructor wants to show. And Mer was typically looking for a short clip showing what was done wrong or right, 10 seconds, not two minutes.

But I've been filmed by the instructor too. And in any case the video gets destroyed, though if there is screen cap that a student likes they can save that.

Another question: what is the opinion of students wearing a GoPro? I understand my focus needs to be 100% on training not videoing, but I would still love to wear one on my helmet for two reasons: .

The world does not care what your reasons are. Take your GoPro and helmet mount and crush them under your heel. The world does not need more head mounted GoPro videos, especially taken by those who are supposed to be focused on taking a class.

Thank you in advance for making the world a better place.

Shortly I will be doing cavern through full cave training in Tulum. Which cenotes might I end up diving in? Are there any specific sites popular for training cave students?

Another question: what is the opinion of students wearing a GoPro? I understand my focus needs to be 100% on training not videoing, but I would still love to wear one on my helmet for two reasons: 1. With a helmet worn camera there is a lot of movement but you still end up getting some cool footage even without trying. 2. If you find yourself struggling with some particular skill, then reviewing the footage can sometimes offer hints on improvement.
You won't need a GoPro. There will be video of you doing your skills, and you'll be analyzing your video on the debrief. Bring a USB drive and ask Kim for your video at the end of your course.
You might not be able to use your helmet at the start. It makes it easier to put your blindfold on, but its something you should ask Protec about.
There's a few cenotes you may start out at. Carwash is where they started with the last group we sent down. But you'll be visiting a variety of cenotes. You'll be in the Ponderosa area at some point, Mayan Blue/Naharon for depth, and your circuit dives and graduation dive will probably be in Grand. Whichever cave it is, enjoy it on the way in...cause you won't see any of it on the way out :wink:

And we wipe the video after class, its to help show students their strong and weak points not advertise to others.

I think it's really neat to see screen grabs of people taking classes posted on the local GUE facebook page. Of course this isn't the primary purpose of the video, and I'm happy to have 99.99% of it destroyed, but I am also glad that the instructor snags the "moments of greatness."

I wouldn't call it marketing so much as community building. It's a great way to meet people who just took fundies and are joining the group!

As an instructor I cannot even count the number of really cool photo opportunities but did not have a camera because as an instructor my first concern is my student's safety. Even when I teach a photography course I leave my camera behind.

When I was a Tech Student my instructor used an assistant to video the courses but he kept his attention on the students. That night we all had a good time reviewing the videos...they really help you see your faults that need work on.

I suggest the OP first learns the necessary skills to dive in extended overhead environments, then dive those and profect those skills. Once you have a mastery of those skills that take your camera.

Right on thanks for the opinions...
I have been doing all my dives in full sidemount cave configuration this last year in preparation - I have worn the helmet and GoPro on all the dives and done countless s-drills with no hose hangups at all so I reject the hose hangup idea.

That's some pretty strong confidence for someone who hasnt taken the course yet. No offense intended, but I look forward to your instructor knocking that down a couple notches like has happened to all of us.

S-drills in ow are alot different than being task loaded in the cave, with your lights off and someone demanding your long hose ASAP.

Listen to those who have done it before and leave the camera at home rather than arguing why it's ok for you.

Listen to those who have done it before and leave the camera at home rather than arguing why it's ok for you.

Good advice has been given. There is a time and place that is appropriate to do that. Even after getting certified, leave the Go Pro or any camera at home, you need to concentrate on reinforcing skills that have been taught, not a distraction of a camera.

I never allow my students to take cameras on any training dives (except for something like UW photo/video). This holds particularly true for cave diving courses. I film my students, and go over the footage with them so they can see where they need to improve, and they can also see their progress throughout the course. After the course, the footage gets destroyed. The only videos I would share (obviously with my students' permission) are from "graduation dives" during which no critical skills are performed, and I am simply there as an observer and member of the team.
Students should be focusing on learning the skills and improving on a daily basis and not on taking pictures or videos to share on facebook.

@Beyond_Diving's approach seems to be common.

I see the OP hasn't been here in a week, since the day he posted the question. And before that, he hadn't visited SB since 2009, when he asked where to leave his wife while he takes a cave course--which I guess he put off taking until now. I wouldn't put money on him returning to this thread any time soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom