Which country compares favourably to snorkelling off beach in Amed, Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are an older couple, certified divers back in the '70's. We've sold our house and given away all of our stuff and are now traveling the world indefinitely.

We prefer to travel slowly, so have spent 3 months in Japan, 3 months in Taiwan and 2 months in Indonesia this year. We did not dive in Japan and our dives in Kenting were really ho hum. Diving in Indonesia though was terrific. We did a dive at the Tulamben wreck which was fantastic. Although it was early morning and even off-season (November), it was very crowded. Likewise, the Japanese wreck was overcrowded with divers too. We discovered that Lipah, Jemeluk, Lean and Bunutan beaches near Amed allowed such quick and easy access to amazing and healthy shallow coral reefs and such plentiful marine life, that we ended up snorkeling almost daily for a month. It was so easy to hop on our scooter and ride up and down the beaches with snorkel gear.

We are able to travel to Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific Island during the months of March, April and May 2015 since we have to work via computer during that period. (Our only requirement would of course be a reliable and speedy Wifi connection in that country). We would love to choose a location where we could combine work and the possibility of snorkeling. Does anyone know of spots in any of these countries which could afford easy access off the beach to good coral reefs and marine life?

Have you thought about Ningaloo and its down the coast sister Coral Bay? If you time your visit right you will hit whale shark, manta or turtle hatching season. April should be a sweet time just time your visit a week before or after the school holidays.

Reactions: MA
Coral Bay is lovely and the diving/snorkelling on Ningaloo Reef is amazing - better in my opinion than the Barrier Reef and much easier to access. You can literally walk off the (staggeringly beautiful, deserted) beaches and start snorkelling a few feet from the shore.

Western Australia as a whole is beautiful and if you have the time, a great place for slow leisurely travel.

Haha! I also was going to say ningaloo. Coral bay is just heaven. Snorkeling there and turquoise bay is better than many dives I've done! There's catavan parks with cabins right across from the beach. You grab your snorkeling gear, walk in and enjoy. It's even a drift so you don't need to kick. You can see all sorts of fish, Rays, turtles and sharks. Awesome!!

Thanks so much for your reply. We've been researching where and when to go to Ningaloo!

---------- Post added December 19th, 2014 at 06:06 PM ----------

Thanks for your input. We imagined that if we could possibly snorkel off a beach we could get in the water more often and enjoy the marine life at our leisure. We're so glad that this is a real possibility.

Did u ever heard aboout Raja Ampat? if you never heard better you google it. i saw on the news that the divers found new species of sharks there they called Walking Sharks. Here some link as information :wink:

New 'Walking Shark' Species .Raja Ampat Biodiversity Eco Resort

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 03:10 PM ----------

Did u ever heard aboout Raja Ampat? if you never heard better you google it. i saw on the news that the divers found new species of sharks there they called Walking Sharks. Here some link as information :wink:

New 'Walking Shark' Species .Raja Ampat Biodiversity Eco Resort

The OP is moving on from Indonesia and was after something where they can have fast and reliable wifi, i'm not sure Raja Ampat would be the right place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom