Which critter decorates the entrance to his home with shells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantis shrimp would be my guess too

After reviewing my photos of various jawfish and also looking online, I agree that the structure of the hole is identical to that of the jawfish. I maintain that this is a particularly OCD or fashion conscious individual :)

Re: organization, one of my first impulses was to want to stick a GoPro in the sand, rearrange the shells and see what angry critter came up to investigate and "fix" the decoration disaster :D

Had I been there we could know for certain. Just wait for the answer. Move back and be patient. Evil doers would move a pebble. But if you give the critter space I suspect you would know the answer before you ran out of air.:D

The hole was about 1-1.5 cm in diameter, not more than 20m deep I suspect.

farsidefan, I suspect you're right, but this was in Lembeh where you have 4 species you've never seen before at any given time, "empty" holes tend to lose their charm with dive guides and buddies pretty quickly :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom