Which Decompression Software do you use PRIMARILY

Which Decompression Software do you use primarily

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well actually you can set the gf you like with both ( the ostc and mv planner), that's why I'm surprised!! I put the same value and sometimes I have big differences... ( with mv planner)

well actually you can set the gf you like with both ( the ostc and mv planner), that's why I'm surprised!! I put the same value and sometimes I have big differences... ( with mv planner)
Strange. And you don't get the same variability between between your OSTC and Deco Planner? The other thing I can think of is maybe clicking on/off the "time is runtime" option in MV Planner. I haven't ever seen an OSTC in real life, but when I compare results of the planner feature in my Shearwater, vs MV Planner, vs Deco Planner, they all come reasonably close to each other.

Maybe I'm taking the wrong assumptions regarding the OSTC. Are you comparing OSTC "planned" results or actual dive results. If you're doing actual results then you're probably using the ZHL16C algorithm while desktop planners use ZHL16B. The Shearwater has a planner feature that uses ZHL16B to cut tables as a backup before you actually go on a dive. It is basically like a wrist mounted MV Planner or DecoPlanner.

well, i have differences also between the deco planner and Mv planner , plannig the same dive.
With OSTC I had Sometimes 2-3 minutes adding decos over the 15 total minutes... and if you consider that the dived profile is actually more conservative than the planned profile it's a lot.
I thought that could be a bug on the mv planner, so from that moment on for seriuos dive i always check with 2 software plus the OSTC

I answered "Other". Normally I run my plan on Ideco on my Ipod touch. It matches the Inspiration Vision and Shearwater well. I do use V-planner also, but less than I used to.
Dave

At home I prefer to run my computers on Ubuntu Linux. I can run Deco Planner through Wine. I'd be surprised if there is no Wine equivalent for Mac. I also run MV Planner native in Linux.

One thing to note is that the default setting for GF in MV Planner is 80/30 vs 80/35 in Deco Planner. I do not know what is the default setting for the OSTC, but for my Shearwater Predator the default setting is also 80/35. So there will be some variances specially if you don't change the default GF. When I set them all at the same GF results are reasonably similar.

You can run most of them through Virtual Box on Ubuntu as well. Mac has a version. I always have problems with Wine.

I do most my dive planning before I start drinking wine but that's just me! :D

Even then is way too late for me. The pre-dinner cocktails make dive planning risky at best.

V-planner.

-Mitch

Back
Top Bottom