Which Decompression Software do you use PRIMARILY

Which Decompression Software do you use primarily

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used VPlanner for a little while. Have a slight preference for DecoPlanner. Not sure it makes too much difference.

very, very few people mentioned MVPlan. It's free and runs natively on mac and linux, and cuts tables very similar to iDeco (on iphone), and my Shearwater. Is it just not used?
I use it. I like it.

Proplanner... on MSDOS (using an appropriate emulator for use on all my electronic devices). Olde Skool...

Proplanner.jpg

Pragmatic Deco (GUE's newest version of DOF) and DecoPlanner

Pragmatic Deco (GUE's newest version of DOF) and DecoPlanner
Do you know where can I find literature on this latest DOF flavor? Over the years I've read about and gotten familiarized with UTD's RD and a couple of versions from Steve Lewis. Then you play many different scenarios on decompression software and add that to personal experiences in real dives and it helps gain a vague resemblance of understanding of decompression black arts. I'd be very interested in learning what's GUE's latest recipe. A few months ago I saw JJ and GI3 on their DIR 2004 video talking about decompression and they kinda made sense :). Honestly, I was slightly surprised because I was expecting a little more dogma and less depth to their discussion.

Do you know where can I find literature on this latest DOF flavor?

Hi Slamfire. I'm not aware of any published literature related to GUE's pragmatic deco other than the course lecture material and planning worksheets. For non-students, this material is available on-line for those with a paid GUE membership of Silver level or higher.

There's really no new black art. Pragmatic deco basically builds on legacy DOF/RD concepts and merely attempts to streamline them in order simplify planning and execution. Primarily, it aims to eliminate sources of potential ambiguity that can result in disagreement among team members regarding the deco profile.

Beyond the setpoint ratios, one of the 'new to me' things I picked up when I was in Italy last year was how GUE is shaping the deco curve nowadays in their classes. Its all linear, more or less. So if your calculated deco calls for 25mins on 50% from 70-20, you'd have 5 min stops every 10ft. There are some little tricks for odd deco times that don't average out so nicely, but that's the gist of it. They're also teaching a 'variable ascent rate' instead of the older 'deepstops' thing. In practice, there isn't really much difference, in my opinion. Gotta watch these ratio deco things though. They break down on long dives.

Benefit of all this is that it's easier to do in your head. Whether it's better for deco vs s-curve or whatever shape buhlmann and vpm put out (some sort of exponential thing) is up for debate.

Back
Top Bottom