which direction should I go? Commercial or recreational?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Was wondering which career path I should go. Should I go the recreational route, get as much education and experience as I can or should I go the commercial diving route. Either way schooling isn't a problem the VA will pay for it. If some people could help and give some advise. Pros and cons of both.

There are lots of threads about this but from what I understand (I am no pro--commercial or rec) the commercial diving is the way to go if you want to actually earn a living. The work is a lot more dangerous but apparently quite rewarding for people. The conditions are often horrible, low viz, really cold, and deep, not to mention the long hours.

Rec will let you be able to "see exotic places" but don't be expecting to live in luxury while you do it. You'll also have to deal with newbs and wannabes who think they know everything.

I'm sure a lot of more qualified folks will speak up ...

Pros and Cons

Commerical Divers eat out when they want and Scuba Instructors, eat at their folks house.

Just Kidding...... well maybe not ?

I've heard you can only do the commercial career for about 10 years, as long as you're young. I asked a past instructor I had if he considered it. He said "Yeah, but there's only one problem--you tend to die". He is a very well known Cave Diver credited with discoveries in the Springs of Florida who has gone places I wouldn't dream of.

Not a lot of advise I see. Well, I think I'm going to do both over time. Start with comm. diving then slowly get to dm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom