Which dive op to use in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Robin. It sounds as if Carnival has Sand Dollar under contract. Unfortunately, I'll be on Holland America. I'll have to find out who their contractor is.

Last edited:
gopbroek, It's good to know that Blue Angel has a 10AM dive. They're a taxi ride down the road from Punta Langosta, but I might need them if it doesn't work out with Deep Blue. Deep Blue said they could take us, but they're under the impression that we'll be on Eastern Time and so would be, docking at 7 AM instead of 8AM. I'm pretty sure that our ship, Holland America, will be on CST when we get to Cozumel. So an 8AM docking time on board will be 8AM in Cozumel.

Iv'e Stayed on Cozumel for a week trip and used Scuba with Alison. I noticed Alison would accommodate divers off a cruise ship. We would load up in the am and then stop off at the Cruise ships pier and load the cruising divers. These divers had a great time. You can contact her ahead of time and coordinate you arrival time with her.

Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison

Have a fun diving and send back some info on your experience.

Thank you for the information, Bison. When you say "load up", do you mean in the dive boat or in a van going to the marina? Do you recall what time her boat/van stopped at the cruise ships pier or which pier(s) they stopped at?

Thank you for the information, Bison. When you say "load up", do you mean in the dive boat or in a van going to the marina? Do you recall what time her boat/van stopped at the cruise ships pier or which pier(s) they stopped at?

Sorry for not being a little clearer in my post. Alison's dive boat would dock at the same/near the pier as the Cruise lines and a have the divers, from the cruise ship, get on her boat. She had tanks ready for them. Appeared to be a very convenient and friendly way to do business with the cruise divers.

Deep Blue said they could take us, but they're under the impression that we'll be on Eastern Time and so would be, docking at 7 AM instead of 8AM. I'm pretty sure that our ship, Holland America, will be on CST when we get to Cozumel. So an 8AM docking time on board will be 8AM in Cozumel.

Yeah... make sure you have the time straight. Coz stays on Eastern Standard Time the entire year. If your ship is out of Miami, it'll be on Eastern Daylight Time.

So 8am for your dive op will be 9am on the ship. This should work to your advantage though... if your ship docks at 8am "ship time", that would be 7am on Coz.

You state that your ship will be on CST... is it possible you're mistakenly equating Eastern Daylight Time with Central Standard? It goes the other way (i.e. Central Daylight Time is Eastern Standard...)

Like this:

For the four time zones, randomly chosen time:

Pac ----------- Mtn --------- Cen ---------- East

Std 600 ----------- 700 ----------- 800 ----------- 900

Daylight 700 -----------800----------- 900 -----------1000

I give a thumbs up to Dive with Alison. I booked with her a couple years ago diving off a cruise ship. Our ship changed our port schedule after we had departed Miami... they reversed the order of our ports due to weather issues. So we ended up arriving in Coz on a different day than I had originally planned (and had reserved with Alison.) I was able to contact her from the ship when I found out about the schedule change, and with only 24 hours notice she was able to rebook my group (with a friend of hers) and save our dive plan.

I'm pretty sure that our ship, Holland America, will be on CST when we get to Cozumel. So an 8AM docking time on board will be 8AM in Cozumel.

It just occurred to me... if your ship is leaving from Galveston or New Orleans, then you're right: your ship time is Central Daylight, which is the same as Eastern Standard, which is the same as local time on Coz.

The dive ops on Coz assume (because it's usually true) that everyone's coming from Miami. But if your ship is from the central time zone, then your ship time would be the same as local time on Coz.

Yes, I see that Cozumel changed from Central Time to Eastern Time in 2015. Thanks for pointing that out. It's been a few years since I've been there. We sail November 19 from Tampa when Florida will be on EST also. So if the ship's time is 8 AM, it should be 8 AM in Cozumel also.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom