Which dive shop in Nassau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pnewlon

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be in Nassau, Bahamas later this week, I intend to do a couple days of diving while I'm there. I have been given three choices for dive shops by the resort:

Stuart Coves, Bahama Divers, Nassau Scuba Center

I would appreciate any feedback that I can get on which shop I should use.

TIA, Phil

I spent several days in Nassau two weeks ago and dove with DIVE DIVE DIVE and Stuart Cove - I posted a long report, but in short I would select DIVE DIVE DIVE any day over Stuart Cove. They were more knowledgeable, personable, explained the dive site much better and had fewer divers. Hope this helps.

rastob:
I spent several days in Nassau two weeks ago and dove with DIVE DIVE DIVE and Stuart Cove - I posted a long report, but in short I would select DIVE DIVE DIVE any day over Stuart Cove. They were more knowledgeable, personable, explained the dive site much better and had fewer divers. Hope this helps.

We haven't been to Stuart Cove in several years, but both my husband and I have a very negative opinion of the operation. Hubby still has a paint stain on his old shorty because they sent divers out on a boat where the paint hadn't settled yet. I accompanied him on one dive to do some snorkeling and the boat broke down--there was no radio!!! We waited for over an hour when they sent another boat out because we hadn't returned. On another dive, I paid for snorkeling and ended up being stuck as the involuntary snorkeling instructor for two kids who'd never snorkeled before. The shop didn't bother to make sure they'd have an instructor for these novices even though the father (taking a refresher dive course) let them know the kids were novices.

Overall, Stuart and his wife seem far more interested in getting movies and photo shoots on their property than they do in providing a good dive experience. His staff at the time was great, but they were fairly vocal in their lack of respect for him and his wife. As for the hotel, (South Ocean Beach), while the big rooms down near the beach were old but charming, the main hotel was in poor condition the two times we were there. Service bordered on non-existant and the SOB/Stuart Cove is fairly removed from the rest of Nassau and the other hotels and restaurants. The hotel always seems to be under "new ownership." I can't recommend either the hotel or Stuart Coves. Our second trip was unpleasant aside from the group we were with and the dive staff who tried to make the best of a poor operation.

Edited to add:

After posting, I got curious to check out how the South Ocean Beach is doing since the last time we were there was around 1998. I checked into tripadvisor.com--here are the latest reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ort-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

The hotel website suggests that the hotel has been totally upgraded. The reviews suggest that's its even more worn out than when we were there. I can agree with those who suggest not staying at the main hotel (garden view rooms) as they were a mess. It sounds like the fanciest restaurnat, Papagayo's, in the golf club, isn't even functioning anymore. Again, Stuart Cove's is about the only thing "to do" around there unless you want to lie on the beach. Our stays were for only 4 days/3 nights so there was too little time to get bored. Again, personally, I'd recommend another hotel and dive shop.

I can't say enough about Bahama Divers. Both myself and girlfriend got certified there (two years apart) and they were great both times.

Hey-

I'll be down in the Bahamas starting Wednesday..my group is actually staying at South Ocean..we'll see how their upgrades went...I stayed there a year ago and will agree with the service being poor but I would say that would be about everywhere down there...the Bahamian mode of operation is slow and stop..LOL!!! We are there to just dive and will be using Stuarts...I am taking a grouop of students and will be the instructor along with another instructor..so we are not too concerned about crew ops...between the 2 of us..will be able to brief the dives...have the knowledge...at least my buddy does..he has been staying with Stuart and his wife on and off for ppast 5 or so years...I guess we have an insider...

As far as the location of the hotel in comparison to downtown..you are right..it is a tad bit aways..but we were trying to get out of downtown..sort of like doing the Bonaire diving..staying in the middle of nowhere and just diving..LOL!!!

Let me know if ya want to dive with us..can look for ya...PM me and maybe we can set something up..we will be there from Wed thru Monday..6/9-6/14

-Brett

Nassau....

Hey, folks, I have a big interest in this matter. We are having a three generation family get together at Paradise Island from June 30 to july 7th. Right now we are tentatively planning on diving with Dive, Dive, Dive. I understand they pick up at hotels? WE all have our own gear. Also we don't need to follow a bunch of others around only to have to come up with 1800 lbs. of gas. Are we on the right track? I'll keep watching this thread. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

I'll start by saying, I don't know what Yazmeen means by "providing a good dive experience". Unless the guides do something that directly affects your safety or comfort, each dive is what you make of it.

My wife and I had the opportunity to dive with both Bahama Divers and Stuart Cove a few months back. I found both operations to be very professional. The people were very friendly. They do push the merchandising (photos, gifts, etc), but considering the overhead of these places, it's where they make their money. I will say that as a diver with a few years experience traveling with my new-cert'd wife, neither operation caters to the newbies unless you are in their class or *ask* for guidance. Case in point, we had one dive with SC that got crowded with reef sharks, and another that bottomed out at 90ft. Neither condition was really planned that way, but my wife was nervous on both dives. Now they did not know that she was a newbie, but they did not qualify her skills either. We had a great time nontheless.

The people here are knowledgeable and friendly, but they are only guides. Their attitude would seem to be: get them to the site and back without problems. And that's all I ask for.

If location is an issue, Bahama Divers is right downtown, while SC is kinda out in the sticks, but the island is so small you're never more than an hour from one end to the other.

Cudabait:
Nassau....

Hey, folks, I have a big interest in this matter. We are having a three generation family get together at Paradise Island from June 30 to july 7th. Right now we are tentatively planning on diving with Dive, Dive, Dive. I understand they pick up at hotels? WE all have our own gear. Also we don't need to follow a bunch of others around only to have to come up with 1800 lbs. of gas. Are we on the right track? I'll keep watching this thread. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
DDD, Stuart and Bahama Divers all pick up at the hotels. They have shuttle buses running up and down Cable Beach (for instance) all the time.

I did Nassau scuba center I posted my experience here.

www.scubaboard.com/t58951.html

That's just my 2 psi worth.

Do the same dive sites and pick up at hotels. The question is travel time to the dive sites. Some are closer to the most popular sites than others. But none are a very long ride.
Fred

Back
Top Bottom