Which DPV for me?

Considering my criteria, which DPV would you recommend?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any real experience with your other choices, but I know a lot about Sierras. My husband and I have them, and many of my friends have them. They are light enough to shore dive with, and don't make the boat crew swear under their breath when you hand them up. I've gotten over 60 minutes of continuous burn time on mine (although not recently -- I almost NEVER run the scooter continuously on a dive). Our two have been relentlessly reliable, and it's not hard to do the maintenance on them (which would be important to you, because you're not where it's easy to send the thing back to get it done).

I wouldn't have much worry about buying a factory refurbished scooter. Private party used, not so much.

Diving for me means travelling - so I like my gear to be set-and-forget

If it is a travel scooter you seek, the Genesis 600 is the ultimate. 35lb weight, more thrust than any cuda, a little more range than the cuda 650, no shaft seal to change every year (or leak), external recharge port and full variable speed.

Production is underway for a November delivery, but it is at the top of the price range you listed.

Best regards,
Jon

Hi Jon. To clarify, I travel from Shanghai to the Philippines to dive, but most of my dive gear lives there (hopefully I will too in a few more years); I plan to leave the DPV there as well, so portability isn't a big concern for me (apart from the initial shipping costs - I'm considering buying one without a battery and getting one locally instead). Even shore dives aren't much of an issue since the distance from the dive shop to the water (or boat) is usually <30m. Anyway, thanks for your reply and good luck with the new product

By the way, the links in your signature don't seem to work (for me anyway)

If your looking something cheap and relativly good to work with I know of someone looking to sell an Oceanic Mako or two. Both have the 1,000RPM rewound motors with New clutch , etc.. all work was done recently from DPV repair by Curt very reputable and is looking for somewhere around 1200ish. He says the scooters run about 200FPM with upgraded motor. Max speed is somewhere around 20-30min depending on battery. 150fpm cruise speed you get little more than hour burn time. Again only what was relayed. If interested PM Ill send you guy's info and you can speak more.

I imagine you could add some buoyancy to correct the negativity if you wanted

I tried removing the trim weights that come with the scooter (they are screwed to the battery to balance the scooter). With both weights out it becomes VERY positively buoyant with the nose straight up. With 1 weight, it is still somewhat positive, but still is nose up. with both weights, it is negative & balanced. The motor end is rather heavy, so needs counter weight.

From my reading, people commonly use the adhesive lead weights that are used to balance wheels on cars, they're flexible, cheap and easily affixed/moved (put them on the inside of the housing)

wheelweights.jpg

This is just my $0.02

I went with a SS UV-18 and got the conversion kit for a UV-26.

The 18 is small enough and light enough to take on a boat or hump up and down stairs. It still gives a good 1 hour of burn time and is stable in the water. A tried a tested scooter with a long history of success and deep dives.

The 26 conversion kit gives it a longer burn time for cave diving and the proven dependability of SLA's. I am not sold on all the new battery technology when it comes to cave diving.

I have the best of both worlds without having to buy 2 scooters. I am still happy with my decision and do not plan on changing in the near future.

I began with a Mako and would still be using it if it would handle more than 200' of depth. The N-19 had too much torque for my wimpy forearms. The 26 is like a cadillac in the water, 18 isn't bad either.

One thing that I really like about Suex/ Halcyon scooters is the ability to easily remove the prop.

I've had fishing line sucked into a gavin prop that wrapped around the shaft. With the Suex/ Halcyon, you simply unscrew the prop, remove the line, and enjoy your day. If that happens with a Mako style prop, you've got to get a screwdriver (or two or 3) and strip it all the way down to the shaft to unfoul the line.

I've had this happen twice now on my Sierra (sort of hard to avoid mono when you're upon it *just* as it comes into view). Your scooter ride is totally done at that point. I do bring the necessary tools to clear it once back on the boat (and doing so is pretty quick), but I'd LOVE the ability to clear the prop in the water. I think Dive-Xtras missed the mark here when they redesigned their prop. Would have been a very useful feature to have added.

One thing that I really like about Suex/ Halcyon scooters is the ability to easily remove the prop.

I've had fishing line sucked into a gavin prop that wrapped around the shaft. With the Suex/ Halcyon, you simply unscrew the prop, remove the line, and enjoy your day. If that happens with a Mako style prop, you've got to get a screwdriver (or two or 3) and strip it all the way down to the shaft to unfoul the line.

I went with a SS UV-18 and got the conversion kit for a UV-26

I've considered that option... I like the UV-26 a lot, the only downside being the weight (43kg). The UV-18 is essentially the same but with less weight and half the burn time (still more than a Sierra). So good plan, except... the 18 is $3600, the 26 is $3700 and the conversion kit is $600/700 (depending if you go up or down) since they come with battery/batteries.

UV-18 might cut it though, little extra weight but decent burn etc. I do like the SS scooters, seem well-made. I was talking to a friend from the PI today and he reminded me that NiMH don't like interrupted charging (electricity supply is prone to brown-outs in Puerto Galera) or high ambient temps; whereas SLA cope with the former and like the latter

One thing that I really like about Suex/ Halcyon scooters is the ability to easily remove the prop

Agree it's a good feature... hopefully not a big issue with Philppines viz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom