Which DPV for me?

Considering my criteria, which DPV would you recommend?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"$180 worth of motorcycle batteries"

"
I feel confident that the SLA batteries won't be a problem"

Depends very much on the battery, the failure mode on cheap batteries can be not very pretty. SLA are not supposed to leak, but if overheated with a large load they can, and a common failure mode is to stop working halfway into a dive. Don't know what you can get for $180 where you live, but a lot of places it won't get much. Many motorcycle batteries are "sealed" (maintenance free), but not sealed lead acid or deep cycle.

Thanks for the advice. My "won't be a problem" comment was referring to recharging with the variable/unreliable Puerto Galera electricity supply.

As for the batteries, they are sealed Yuasa and the dive shop has been using them for several years in the dozen or so Gavin & Submerge DPVs that live there without any issues.

Thanks for the advice. My "won't be a problem" comment was referring to recharging with the variable/unreliable Puerto Galera electricity supply.

As for the batteries, they are sealed Yuasa and the dive shop has been using them for several years in the dozen or so Gavin & Submerge DPVs that live there without any issues.

Enjoy your scooter, hope it changes and improves your diving experience as much as mine have for me.

Tobin

I ran a UV18 for 10 years, playing with the 26 conversion for the last 2 years of that. Excellent machine + can buy plenty of used ones for great prices + super service from the maker. Replacement batteries are cheap & widely available.

Went to the SS Minnus this past winter. Excellent machine + 2 feet long + 35# + can shift 3 speeds on the fly + more thrust & burn time than the 26. Book price is high, but you can work with the dealers to get the price down a lot. Replacement batteries are expensive and only available thru the maker, as far as I know.

My advice: Don't over think this, as it's probably not going to be your last one. Get a good one that has a decent resale history - for when it's time to move up to the next model - and go for it.

Yuasa gives that battery a 1 hour rating of 10.3 Amps.

Odyssey gives a one hour rating of 12.3 on the same size PC 680, and also gives a 2,5,10,15,20 30 and 45 minute ratings. They can stand being heavily discharged, and recharged in one hour, and I have never had one fail. If you are willing to pay the much higher price, they are worth it.

I have used most reputable brands since 1989 in DPV's and have had much better service from the Odyssey battery. At less than $1 per use, having swum back some dead scooters with failed batteries, people ought to know about them.

Thanks, but it's a question of availability - my DPV lives in Puerto Galera, Philippines. You cannot get Odyssey or Genesis batteries easily. The Yuasas are readily available locally and work fine. Most of the diving we do is from a live boat with a few shore dives thrown in so a failure really isn't a big deal. YMMV

having swum back some dead scooters with failed batteries, people ought to know about them.

This part is no fun. Also, flooded scoots, fried-circuit board scoots. Where are those scooter buddies when you need them most? Huh?:D

Back
Top Bottom