Which DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

longtimer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's very hard to choose which one is the best buy between Dive Xtras Piranha 1 for $5,000 or the Bonex/SubGravity Ecos+ for $5100. Which do you think is better and why? FWIW I do mostly recreational cave diving in Fl several weeks per year, but also dive Atlantic wrecks and the Keys most years, as well as lakes and quarries at home. I just can't justify spending 30-40% more to get one of the top of the line scooters. I've only dove Mako's and their equivalents. I've enjoyed the research, but sooner or later I have to make a choice. Thanks in advance for your help.

for cave diving I would choose the Bonex over the Piranha. If anything because there are actually dealers/support in the area, which can't be said about Dive X unfortunately.
In addition, the trigger is much better for cave diving.

Out of curiosity, why those two over some other options or going used?

With the Piranna if you want more run time you can just add one or two more batteries. If you don't need the extra run time you have a very portable scooter.

I like that both are very light, 25 for P1 and 33 for the Bonex, with good reputations, pissing contests aside. The other one I considered in that price range, the Minnus, was a little more money, $5250, for seemingly a little less spec. Granted I don't have experience with any of them, and have never even seen a P1 since it's West coast centric. I think Edd carries both Bonex and SS, so I may be able to demo those two. I've been looking for used and missed out on a couple I would have considered. I really like Li, but I am considering a value play (3k) on a discontinued NIB Cuda 650 Nimh which is at the very to top of my weight preference at 53lbs. Other suggestions are surely welcome.

my issue with the Dive X is the trigger in a cave. Really doesn't like grit getting inside of it and it's really annoying. Advantage of it is the modular batteries and user programmable "gears"

The Bonex is less robust of a scooter from what I have seen, and the Ecos+ lacks the infinite speed controller, shutoff, etc. so upgrading to the Ecos S if you can is worthwhile imo.

The Minnus is very robust, good trigger, but is "basic" compared to some of the other ones. Not necessarily bad, just different.

Realistically though, at that price range, unless weight is of the utmost importance, I'd get a Viper 30. $5k, bigger battery than the others, and is quite spiffy

I like the Suex xj37 for sure. Unfortunately new ones are $6500 or so, and used ones aren't cheap. You can get one for a reasonable price in Italy tho.

Out of curiosity, no one has mentioned the run times of the DPVS. Sure we all look at the range at 150fpm but what about under full power? Not sure if anyone has towed another diver, but it's painfully slow. You're on full power, traveling at a reduce speed, hence an increase in trigger time for the same distance.

My Viper has enough juice to get me to my safety zone, if I had to tow another diver. Think if I had to do it over again, I would have spent the additional cash on a Genesis 1200. I don't think I've had a DiveXtra or Suex fail (at least those are the most popular in my area) but I have been there when the Gavin was misbehaving and we altered the dive plan.

I have no experience with the Bonex/SubGravity, but I have a Dive Xtras Piranha. I recommend you stay away from the Piranha. Mine is currently back at the factory for the fourth time in about a year for repairs. I no longer trust it at all. Once it comes back, I will use it as a toy for playing around the boat, or perhaps to teach new DPV divers as long as we will stay near the boat. I will not trust it for any long trips where I may have to tow it home. There is no way I would trust it in a cave.

Mine may be a lemon. I would be interested to hear if others have had better luck with their Dive Xtras Piranha. I hope so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom