Which DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve had a genesis for 2 years. It has been flawless, and I even drive it left handed on a regular basis. Not opening the scooter to charge is great. The prop with the magnetic coupling is fantastic. I can neither confirm nor deny having dropped many things into the prop like can light heads, etc., with no issues.

@Jon Nellis the reports were from owners that I'll have to find. They may have been pissed for some reason, but when I find them I'll email them to you directly. I believe what they said happened was the dpv was off and they didn't see a line that came in from behind, when it spun up it pulled it out the back vs. ingesting in the front. As a cave diver it is anything but a deal breaker to me.
I still stand by comments on the trigger design as while I did enjoy the variable speed on the trigger, it was not nearly as comfortable as say the Suex N handle.

The back end design is brilliant, however I think there have been a lot of improvements from some of your competition, particularly Suex in the past year or two that made spending "up" for the equivalent Genesis difficult to swallow. Especially considering the lack of availability in cave country for those of us.

The Sentry DPV Dashboard, while obviously better than the "nothing" that most of your competitors has, falls way short of what Suex is offering with the D3. You have no logging ability and no integrated compass in a device

I will say that if I was on the west coast, it is almost guaranteed that I would have a 600 by now, but alas, that is not the case. So I'll ask you, what do you think the reason is that you are essentially non-existent in one of the largest markets for DPV's in this country? Is it the two dealers you have, or is it something else? Bonex had no problem penetrating the market, neither did Suex. SS has the home-field advantage, so they don't really count, but they have been steadily losing market share as to your point, they have failed to properly engineer your product.

Last edited:
Can someone list new things in genesis scooters? Seems like it is hard to obtain info. The website is minimal.

Last edited:
Did you actually click on the link for the scooter?

Go to the products page, then DPV, then click on the scooter you want. Genesis 600 | Logic Dive Gear

I did but what is on that page that is not here in 2011 video? Compare: FEATURES - SUEX

What has changed since 2011? I'd like to know what innovation has taken since then. Today is almost 2018, many years have passed. What was genesis up to during these years?

PS: Did you see a video section on that site? It is like everything is top secret. If it wouldn't be for the video linked above, I'd be totally confused about the product. Couldn't the owner make a better video, or two, in seven years? It is like they don't even try, keep things as obscure as possible.

Last edited:
I did but what is on that page that is not here in 2011 video? Compare: FEATURES - SUEX

What has changed since 2011? I'd like to know what innovation has taken since then. Today is almost 2018, many years have passed. What was genesis up to during these years?

PS: Did you see a video section on that site? It is like everything is top secret. If it wouldn't be for the video linked above, I'd be totally confused about the product. Couldn't the owner make a better video, or two, in seven years? It is like they don't even try, keep things as obscure as possible.

I'm not sure where the problem is. I see the innovative computer for the scooter, the camera mounting system, the new harness to handle the torque. I know he's using better batteries now. But if you're looking for changes in the DPV itself, not sure I can help. There's not anything I can think of that needs to be changed.

Compare that to say the SS site where the nozzle, motors and prop were at one time 40 year old technology, and I could see an argument for change. :)

...I still stand by comments on the trigger design as while I did enjoy the variable speed on the trigger, it was not nearly as comfortable as say the Suex N handle.

Is that the old trigger, or the newer trigger that you tried? This is also something we hear from divers that are used to diving a different brand of DPV, so when they spend a single dive or less trying a Genesis, it just feels awkward, like borrowing a friends car and the windshield wiper control is not where you think it should be, the gas pedal is too mushy and the brakes too grabby. You do not repeatedly bump the trigger on a Genesis for fine control like you do other DPVs because you can precisely control the speed so easily. You simply keep the trigger on and dial in the exact speed that you need. Imagine if you have to parallel park a car by only being able to bump the gas pedal on and off. That would be considered idiotic, but people have been conditioned to do that with DPVs, because no one has given them a better option until the Genesis.

The Sentry DPV Dashboard, while obviously better than the "nothing" that most of your competitors has, falls way short of what Suex is offering with the D3. You have no logging ability and no integrated compass in a device

Has anyone ever actually seen a D3 operating in salt water? As for a digital compasses, I would not wish one of those on anyone. The swing rate feedback from a magnetic compass provides a better visual reference when approaching the desired heading than a digital compass and a magnetic compass never needs batteries. Data logging is one of those are bells and whistles that just are not that useful 99% of the time. Data logging is great when you have known operating parameters, but varying the speed throughout the dive just gives you a bunch of different power levels that cannot be referenced to what you were actually doing at that time, giving the data almost no value. Who here has a data logger on their car that they go back and look at power consumption? No one, they have a speedometer, gas gauge and maybe a tachometer, and with that information, they are perfectly capable of planning a trip and not running out of gas while driving. Start adding unnecessary things like cell phones and video displays in the car, and they just get into an accident. There are times when simplicity is better.

...So I'll ask you, what do you think the reason is that you are essentially non-existent in one of the largest markets for DPV's in this country? Is it the two dealers you have, or is it something else?

We do not do any real marketing and don't have a brick and mortar dealer in the area, where people can go and test a Genesis. The dealer we had previously in the High Springs area, didn't understand the features and benefits, so they could not represent it well. Peter is our local rep there now and we will hopefully be adding another dealer in north Florida this year.

Can someone list new things in genesis scooters? Seems like it is hard to obtain info. The website is minimal.

There have been minor changes like more battery capacity and the new trigger, along with un-noticed internal changes like replacing reed switches with more reliable hall sensors and decreasing the motor ramp up time. Since the Genesis already has the highest thrust, highest efficiency resulting in the lowest weight per mile of range, easiest speed control, a motor that absolutely cannot overheat, the least maintenance requirements and no need to open the DPV when charging, there is really not much left to improve upon, unless you want handlebar streamers.

Other brands are still trying to keep their motor from overheating when run at continuous max power, (which is still lower than the Genesis max power) require two hands to dial their speed in to match with a buddy's speed, require you to break the hermetic seal every time you want to recharge and also require servicing the shaft seals periodically. If you are judging a brand by whether or not little improvements are constantly made, the other brands will win, as they have a lot of improvements to make before they can match the Genesis' basic features.

Cheers,
Jon

@Jon Nellis it was the new trigger, however the variable speed was something I actually enjoyed, it just wasn't physically as comfortable to me as the Suex. Granted I dive a SS normally and am used to that trigger, but it was a physical comfort vs. a gas pedal thing.
Here's to hoping for a dealer in Florida that we can actually get some trigger time, because that is what sells a product, especially when it has a radically different operating principal like your trigger
I don't dive salty stuff that often so can't comment on that with the D3, just was pointing out that they are offering more features for a similar price, and while I do admit to enjoying my deck compass on my scooter, digital is nice for quick reference.

Like I said, it's an awesome scooter and I have a few you can borrow to try out.

If anyone wants to give me a Genesis, I'm going down to Mexico at the beginning of the year!!!! Just sayin'! Hell, it might even replace ol'trusty, my UV-18!

I'd be surprised if it's got that same Cadillac ride though.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom