Which dry glove system is 'best'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are they really all that different compared to the DGS? I have DGS and really like them.... just wondering if the grass is greener on the other side, and if so, how green is it?

Did your wife ever get to try out the inserts from Waterproof for the DGS system?

Here is what I can tell you right now, as I am in the process of relocating back to the US and my life is currently so upside down that I don't have time to think and provide the review I want to write yet:

1. The Rolock 90 system is different compared to the DGS, specifically with regard to setup and how the two halves of the system connect.

2. The outside dimensions are fairly similar with regard to ring external diameter and the amount that extends outside of the PU ring.

3. The way glove side attaches to the cuff side is very easy and intuitive to use both donning/doffing gloves pre/post dive.

4. They are much easier to get apart after a dive than the Ultima DGS. Just make a fist and twist while holding the cuff-ring with the opposite hand. There is enough friction in the system that the system will not inadvertently open during use....believe me, I tried to get these to fail in use, shy of breaking them.

5. They do take a little longer to set-up than the Ultima DGS, but you will not break your fingers trying to get the gloves mounted. Set-up is straight forward and there are a couple of really good videos on youtube that shows what to do....after setting things up the first time, I wanted to make a change and took it all apart and started from scratch, things when much quicker the second time and I like the way it works with the modification I made to how things are indexed (Rolock instructs to index the installation to the middle fingers of each hand...I decided to index to the space between my thumbs and forefingers, and if I was to set it up again I would just index to my thumbs directly)

6. What makes the Ultima DGS easier/quicker to setup is that there is no indexing. The Ultima system is agnostic to the position of the cuff ring when you press it in the PU ring, and it is agnostic to the position of the glove relative to the glove-ring when mounting the gloves. BUT I hate it when I don't get the glove side pressed straight when donning them and the sometimes slight twist in the glove when attached annoys me enough that I will pry them apart and reattach. I also find the 2nd one slightly harder to press on when wearing glove liners underneath and fully kitted up. I have upper back issues and the compression from the weight of my tank hanging on my shoulders is very uncomfortable and it can be frustrating dealing with the discomfort while dicking-around trying to my fargin gloves on or off.

THAT BEING SAID, I have not had any issues with my Ultima DGS other than the pain associated with getting gloves on the glove-rings (fixed by swapping the stock o-rings with some size 341/70 durometer ones), and the level of effort it takes to get them apart after dive.

7. Waterproof has somewhat silently addressed the pain-in-the-arse factor of the level of effort needed for pressing their system together and prying it apart by introducing the Ultima Push and Pull system. This is not a new dryglove system but instead is an add-on that is pressed into the glove-side rings of the current system. This add-on is purchased separately.

My wife and I have not tried the Push and Pull add-on because Waterproof could not explain to me how they worked. They just repeated what the product does, but had not info on how it achieves making it easier to attach/detach the 2 halves of the system. I found one SB member that has them and he could only explain that they do work well for making it easier to pry the 2 halves of the Ultima DGS apart but could not explain how either, he just said they work like magic. I as not going to spend 44 euros a set to confirm on my dime if they work or are just a gimmick, and the fact that Waterproof even introduced this product to the market highlights that they are aware that their product can be difficult for folks to don/doff which, to me, shouts inferior product...in my opinion one should not have to invest an additional 44 euros on a gadget to get the original product work well, especially when the company itself can't explain how the darn things work to do what they say they do.

I asked Waterproof to send me a set to test and review and they said they would send me a 2nd set in exchange for a review if purchased the first set. I told them that I only asked them to send me a set so I could better understand the product and that I was not looking to mooch free product...in fact I already had asked my LDS to order me one set for purchase but after Waterproof could not provide any information I called the shop and told them to hold off on the order. I want to state that I am not turned off by the Ultima DGS and can't stress enough that they work well, but since they could not tell me how the add-on works, I decided that if I was to spend more money I would purchase my wife a set of the Rolock 90 system instead. As indicated above, I like my Ultima system but the Rolock is just easier to use.

(full disclosure: Rolock sent me the set I have installed on my suit. They have not asked me to do anything with them, review or otherwise...in fact the set sat in their box on my desk since November/December timeframe as I could not dive due to covid restricitons. My view/review of their product is based on my honest impression of the system based on the limited time i have thus far been able to use them due to covid restrictions and current life events, and I would never recommend/endorse a product I was not willing to buy and use myself).

My apologies for another long-winded post.

-Z

:D

So would you switch from DGS to Rolock?

I would only switch if you feel like spending money and/or have issues with your Ultima setup. I have been diving my Ultimas for a few years and they have held up really well...I have not nearly the number of dives with the Rolock 90 system but so far they have been great to use.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a dryglove system to integrate with their Si-tech QCS oval wrist cuff system/PU ring....

....but for those who have the Ultima DGS, I would only recommend switching from that system if you have disposable income you want to part with, and/or are having problems using the system (attaching/detaching the two halves).

Hope that helps.

-Z

Here is what I can tell you right now, as I am in the process of relocating back to the US and my life is currently so upside down that I don't have time to think and provide the review I want to write yet:

1. The Rolock 90 system is different compared to the DGS, specifically with regard to setup and how the two halves of the system connect.

2. The outside dimensions are fairly similar with regard to ring external diameter and the amount that extends outside of the PU ring.

3. The way glove side attaches to the cuff side is very easy and intuitive to use both donning/doffing gloves pre/post dive.

4. They are much easier to get apart after a dive than the Ultima DGS. Just make a fist and twist while holding the cuff-ring with the opposite hand. There is enough friction in the system that the system will not inadvertently open during use....believe me, I tried to get these to fail in use, shy of breaking them.

5. They do take a little longer to set-up than the Ultima DGS, but you will not break your fingers trying to get the gloves mounted. Set-up is straight forward and there are a couple of really good videos on youtube that shows what to do....after setting things up the first time, I wanted to make a change and took it all apart and started from scratch, things when much quicker the second time and I like the way it works with the modification I made to how things are indexed (Rolock instructs to index the installation to the middle fingers of each hand...I decided to index to the space between my thumbs and forefingers, and if I was to set it up again I would just index to my thumbs directly)

6. What makes the Ultima DGS easier/quicker to setup is that there is no indexing. The Ultima system is agnostic to the position of the cuff ring when you press it in the PU ring, and it is agnostic to the position of the glove relative to the glove-ring when mounting the gloves. BUT I hate it when I don't get the glove side pressed straight when donning them and the sometimes slight twist in the glove when attached annoys me enough that I will pry them apart and reattach. I also find the 2nd one slightly harder to press on when wearing glove liners underneath and fully kitted up. I have upper back issues and the compression from the weight of my tank hanging on my shoulders is very uncomfortable and it can be frustrating dealing with the discomfort while dicking-around trying to my fargin gloves on or off.

THAT BEING SAID, I have not had any issues with my Ultima DGS other than the pain associated with getting gloves on the glove-rings (fixed by swapping the stock o-rings with some size 341/70 durometer ones), and the level of effort it takes to get them apart after dive.

7. Waterproof has somewhat silently addressed the pain-in-the-arse factor of the level of effort needed for pressing their system together and prying it apart by introducing the Ultima Push and Pull system. This is not a new dryglove system but instead is an add-on that is pressed into the glove-side rings of the current system. This add-on is purchased separately.

My wife and I have not tried the Push and Pull add-on because Waterproof could not explain to me how they worked. They just repeated what the product does, but had not info on how it achieves making it easier to attach/detach the 2 halves of the system. I found one SB member that has them and he could only explain that they do work well for making it easier to pry the 2 halves of the Ultima DGS apart but could not explain how either, he just said they work like magic. I as not going to spend 44 euros a set to confirm on my dime if they work or are just a gimmick, and the fact that Waterproof even introduced this product to the market highlights that they are aware that their product can be difficult for folks to don/doff which, to me, shouts inferior product...in my opinion one should not have to invest an additional 44 euros on a gadget to get the original product work well, especially when the company itself can't explain how the darn things work to do what they say they do.

I asked Waterproof to send me a set to test and review and they said they would send me a 2nd set in exchange for a review if purchased the first set. I told them that I only asked them to send me a set so I could better understand the product and that I was not looking to mooch free product...in fact I already had asked my LDS to order me one set for purchase but after Waterproof could not provide any information I called the shop and told them to hold off on the order. I want to state that I am not turned off by the Ultima DGS and can't stress enough that they work well, but since they could not tell me how the add-on works, I decided that if I was to spend more money I would purchase my wife a set of the Rolock 90 system instead. As indicated above, I like my Ultima system but the Rolock is just easier to use.

(full disclosure: Rolock sent me the set I have installed on my suit. They have not asked me to do anything with them, review or otherwise...in fact the set sat in their box on my desk since November/December timeframe as I could not dive due to covid restricitons. My view/review of their product is based on my honest impression of the system based on the limited time i have thus far been able to use them due to covid restrictions and current life events, and I would never recommend/endorse a product I was not willing to buy and use myself).

My apologies for another long-winded post.

-Z

I bought mine full retail. They are superior to the Ultima in every aspect. In fact just had another flawless dive with them. Literally just finished changing out of my base layer. I cannot say enough how much I like this system. The Ultima is in second place though.

I remember hearing that garden variety dishwashing gloves with si-tech seals work just fine... IIRC, it was popular with folks in the Great Lakes area. Untested on my part as I don't have a need.

I remember hearing that garden variety dishwashing gloves with si-tech seals work just fine... IIRC, it was popular with folks in the Great Lakes area. Untested on my part as I don't have a need.
I use Marigold G17K Industrial Gloves with my SiTech wrist seals and they work great and remove most of the bulk that I had with the rings of the Quick Glove and Glove Lock systems I used previously. They are also only a few buck a pair and are remarkably tough, I find them more resistant to zebra mussels than the Showa gloves.

Rolock 90 comes in 2 versions
The Rolock 90 I recently received (from Seaskin) has both blue and black rings in the box. I've not done anything with it, so I could be confused as to how things are supposed to work. However, there may be only a single version now.

The Rolock 90 I recently received (from Seaskin) has both blue and black rings in the box. I've not done anything with it, so I could be confused as to how things are supposed to work. However, there may be only a single version now.

There are actually a few versions....one comes with the Si-Tech PU ring to glue into the suit, another is the full kit and kaboodle with gloves, and then there is the version with the individual retention rings.

The set I have was sent to me directly by Rolock. When I interfaced with them, they asked what size and type gloves I needed/wanted and I told them I didn't need any because I use and have a spare set of SHOWA 720 gloves. They sent the version of the kit with blue retension rings.

Set up is fairly simple. There are videos on their website as well as someone posted a fairly comprehensive video on youtube of the install process. I can also provide information if you need it.

Which retention ring you will use will be dependent on what glove you are using. The black is for SHOWA/Atlas model 490, the blue is for just about everything else.

The basic instruction are:
1. to put o-rings on the retention rings
2. pair up the left cuff and glove ring with each other and the righ cuff and glove rings with each other.
3. remove the wrist seals from your current cuff system and don your suit. make a chalk mark on the cuffs aligned with an imaginary line the extends through your middle finger.
4. attach wrist seal to cuff-side rings and press into PU rings with the alignment marks on the ring indexed to the chalk marks made in step 3 above.
5. insert retention rings into gloves. Smear a light coating of silicone grease on the area inside the glove ring where the retention ring and glove will sit/seal against (this helps with adjusting the glove length). Align the alignment marks on the glove rings with an imaginary line that passes through the middle fingers of the gloves. Press the ring and glove into place in the glove-side ring by pressing down against a flat surface (this took slightly more effort than I expected at first because the o-ring has to clear the retention lip of the glove ring, you can start one side and then press the other into place).
6, Adjust the length of the gloves by pulling on the cuffs of the gloves until they fit how you want them.

The only change I made is that I indexed my alignment marks to the space between my thumbs and forefingers. I initially installed as above and then took them apart and reinstalled. The reinstall went much quicker as I had overcome the learning curve on the first install.

Good look and happy diving. Don't hesitate to reach out to me with any questions.

-Z

Before I purchased my first dryglove system I splashed a few times with thin latex gloves purchased at the supermarket. I stretched them over my si-tech oval wrist rings and used an o-ring for security. They worked. I was careful not to touch anything for fear of puncturing or tearing them, but they worked.

Pullover gloves are simple but not the elegant solution I was after

-Z

Just a note about Rolock product name:

Rolock 1, 2, and 3 are the same product with the exception that the ring used to mount a glove on the glove-ring is a different size for each.

Rolock 1 comes with a blue glove retention ring that is designed for use with size M SHOWA 490 gloves with an attached internal insulating liner.

Rolock 2 comes with a black glove retention ring that is designed for use with size L and XL SHOWA 490 gloves with an attached internal insulating liner.

Rolock 3 comes with a red glove retention ring that is designed for use with gloves that do not have an attached internal insulating liner. This version of the system will work with gloves similar to the SHOWA 495, 660, and 720 among others.

Rolock 90 comes in 2 versions:

Black glove retention ring for gloves with an attached internal insulating line like the SHOWA 490
Blue glove retention ring for gloves without an attached internal insulating liner such as the 495, 660, and 720.

-Z

Thank you for this!

Back
Top Bottom