Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, by the way, Tobin...Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V after all:confused:???

Steve
(even tho' I promise to just look at 17/20 lbs lift and will be only using 5-6 lbs of weight for the rest of my diving career):D:11::shakehead::rofl3:

spschneer:
Oh, by the way, Tobin...Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V after all:confused:???

Steve
(even tho' I promise to just look at 17/20 lbs lift and will be only using 5-6 lbs of weight for the rest of my diving career):D:11::shakehead::rofl3:

Shawn,

Let's take a look at wing design in general. Water is ~63 lbs / cuft. That means if you want 30 lbs of lift you need to displace 30/63 = .476 cuft or about 823 cu inches.

Any 30 lbs wing will need to displace this volume. The trick becomes how to do so in a shape that is streamlined and easy venting.

Prior to the introduction of the DeepSeaSupply LCD 30 wing in 2004, single tank wings featured wide center panels, often 6-8 inches wide. The LCD 30 was the first to feature a narrow center panel, ~3 inches wide.

The DSS LCD 30 was the first wing to use the space between the tank and plate for inflation. Result is a much narrower wing profile, and a wing that vents easily when the diver is horizontal because there is very little tank wrap.

There are substantial benefits in moving from a 6-7 inch wide center panel to a 3 inch wide center panel because there is a lot of previously "unused" volume, in the roughly triangular space between the side of the tank and plate. Center panels narrower than 3 inches make use of almost no additional "unused volume" and do not allow wings to be measurably smaller in cross section.

This fundamental advance in wing design, the narrow center panel, has been more recently adopted by other wing companies.

I would respectfully suggest your question is worded in reverse.

All DSS wings are very narrow designs, as streamlined for a given volume as the physics allows.

If you want the least possible drag, use the smallest lift narrow center panel wing that safely meets the requirements of your application.

Tobin

cool_hardwear52:
Prior to the introduction of the DeepSeaSupply LCD 30 wing in 2004, single tank wings featured wide center panels, often 6-8 inches wide. The LCD 30 was the first to feature a narrow center panel, ~3 inches wide.

When was the 27# Halcyon Pioneer Batwing introduced?

cool_hardware52:
Take a look at a 27 lbs Pioneer. How wide is the none inflating center panel?

Tobin
27wing.jpg

So, by shrinking the center panel by ~1", you invented "narrow"? Congratulations!:sarcasm:

DSS has many innovative features and industry firsts, which includes narrow designs across the entire wing lineup. I don't think that you invented the narrow wing, though.

xiSkiGuy:
So, by shrinking the center panel by ~1", you invented "narrow"? Congratulations!:sarcasm:

DSS has many innovative features and industry firsts, which includes narrow designs across the entire wing lineup. I don't think that you invented the narrow wing, though.

I believe the photo you posted is a 18 lbs wing, not a 27.

Can you show me any wing of greater than 18 lbs lift with a narrow design that predates the DSS LCD 30?

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
I believe the photo you posted is a 18 lbs wing, not a 27.
No, the 18# Batwing is a horseshoe and actually has a wider center panel the the 27# Pioneer Batwing:
18wing.jpg

cool_hardware52:
Can you show me any wing of greater than 18 lbs lift with a narrow design that predates the DSS LCD 30?

Tobin
I already did.:wink: I'm pretty sure the 27# Pioneer Batwing dates to before 2003.

Back
Top Bottom