Which DSS wing is comparable to the Oxycheq Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry...I realize (after reading the responses) I wasn't clear ... (What I meant to say)

If I do reduce my lead weight to ~8-10 lbs(total lead+regs) WITH MY RANGER OR switch to a SS backplate(about 6lbs) then I'd be able to do without added weight (or maybe a couple lbs max) in salt with no exposure protection...(Alum 80) ...

Ranger: 4 lbs positive (salt)
Alum 80: 4 lbs positive (end of dive 500PSI)
Regs: 2 lbs negative(salt)

should be around 6 lbs to offset with the RANGER setup or none with the SS Backplate...

Thus the smallest wing would be sufficient...

Thanks
Steve

From the numbers you posted, you don't need a SS BP. A kydex or aluminum will suffice.

I was thinking SS since I may want to use a 1/2 MM wetsuit for spring/fall dives when the water gets into the low 80's high 70's...Any further in the fall/spring and the temps get "unfun" for me (WWW) and the weather gets too iffy (cold fronts blasting thru cause havoc with sea conditions/ the ability to dive / go out on boats)...

spschneer:
I was thinking SS since I may want to use a 1/2 MM wetsuit for spring/fall dives when the water gets into the low 80's high 70's...Any further in the fall/spring and the temps get "unfun" for me (WWW) and the weather gets too iffy (cold fronts blasting thru cause havoc with sea conditions/ the ability to dive / go out on boats)...
So buy a XS Scuba weight pocket, thread it on one of the cam bands and add a few puonds only when you need it.

spschneer:

If you use a SS plate and harness (-6) and reg (-2) you will have about 8 lbs of total ballast. With just an al 80 and no exposure suit you will be about 5 lbs negative when your tank reaches 500 psi.

Is that what you want?

With a lightweight kydex plate you will be about 1 lbs negative when your tank reaches 500 psi, or about neutral with an empty tank, with no exposure suit.

A full 3mm suit is typically about 4-6 lbs positive. 1/2 mm skins aren't very positive at all. A couple 1 lbs bullet weights on the belt, or a ankle weight around the neck of the tank should be more than enough if you find yourself ever so slightly positive in a skin.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
If you use a SS plate and harness (-6) and reg (-2) you will have about 8 lbs of total ballast. With just an al 80 and no exposure suit you will be about 5 lbs negative when your tank reaches 500 psi.

Is that what you want?

With a lightweight kydex plate you will be about 1 lbs negative when your tank reaches 500 psi, or about neutral with an empty tank, with no exposure suit.

A full 3mm suit is typically about 4-6 lbs positive. 1/2 mm skins aren't very positive at all. A couple 1 lbs bullet weights on the belt, or a ankle weight around the neck of the tank should be more than enough if you find yourself ever so slightly positive in a skin.

Tobin
I'm not sure if that's what I want..(since you asked, I'm guessing not, but since I'm probably 8 or more negative now, it would be better than now:D).

I'm going for a shore-dive in salt this weekend and mostly will try out a lot of weighting options...Will especially try and get to the minimum @ 500PSI...Also, am borrowing a SS BP/W to try out...just to get a feel for the difference...probably not the ultimate but better to have an idea of some of the questions I should ask...

Thanks again for all the info...(and DSS is at the top of my list for future purchases, if and when)...

Steve

spschneer:
I'm going for a shore-dive in salt this weekend and mostly will try out a lot of weighting options...Will especially try and get to the minimum @ 500PSI...

Went out today, and found that 7 lbs(3lb trim & 2x2lb on the hips) of weights was only enough to get me down with a full tank, as I got to ~1500 I was floating up and couldn't hold a stop...I had a hard time getting down until I got all the air bled and bubbled out...

The weather and other things combined to prevent me from trying out the BP/W in salt, but did try it out in the pool afterward...WOW...what a difference...I've got to try this some more...it's a whole different feeling...Not sure about the weighting (was okay in the pool with about 1200 PSI and no added weight - Alum BP, DR Venture wing and Alum 80 tank). I'm going to definitely try out some more alternate combinations ....

spschneer:
Went out today, and found that 7 lbs(3lb trim & 2x2lb on the hips) of weights was only enough to get me down with a full tank, as I got to ~1500 I was floating up and couldn't hold a stop...I had a hard time getting down until I got all the air bled and bubbled out...

The weather and other things combined to prevent me from trying out the BP/W in salt, but did try it out in the pool afterward...WOW...what a difference...I've got to try this some more...it's a whole different feeling...Not sure about the weighting (was okay in the pool with about 1200 PSI and no added weight - Alum BP, DR Venture wing and Alum 80 tank). I'm going to definitely try out some more alternate combinations ....

The typical diver will need about 5-6 lbs less ballast in fresh water vs salt, keep that in mind.

If I understand you correctly in salt water with no exposure suit, a "neutral" diver and an al 80 9 lbs (7 lead 2 reg) was not enough, maybe ~3 lbs too little (~1500 psi in an 80) Lets say you needed 12 lbs.

That means you would expect to need about 12-5 or 7 lbs in fresh water.

In a pool with an al plate and harness, no exposure suit and an al 80 @ 1200 psi you were ok, maybe even a little heavy.

Al plate and harness is about -2, reg -2, tank a little lighter. You found you needed only about 4 lbs in fresh water, not 7. Why? No inherently buoyant BC.

For diver who is slightly negative in fresh water in just his swim trucks, using a tank that's +4 lbs empty and no exposure suit one would expect that ~2 lbs of plate and harness and 2 lbs of reg would be about right............

If you can get your weighting nailed down in fresh water you can expect to add about 5 lbs for salt.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom