Which equalization technique do you use MOST OFTEN?

Which equalization technique do you use most often?

• Valsalva

Votes: 90 67.7%
  • Toynbee

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Lowry

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Edmonds

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Frenzel

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • VTO

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • other (please explain below)

Votes: 11 8.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe what I do is close to the VTO, though I don't push my jaw forward. I just open my Eustachian tubes somehow--like when yawning, but I don't have to yawn. I just make my ears "crackle". I can hold the "crackle" position at will and do this on land if something really noisey approaches (like a fire truck while I'm walking)--so I don't plug my ears with my fingers looking like a dork. If I'm going down real fast I do occasionally swallow now and then.
This, unless my sinuses are somewhat clogged. If so, I do the Valsalva.

Mainly valsalva but Edmonds and VTO when my hands are occupied. Deeper than 40' usually can just wiggle my jaw a little.

There are different descriptions of the Frenzel maneuver, but it's closest to what I do. I pinch my nose and use my tongue to piston air into my Eustachian tubes. My diaphragm is not involved, so it is not a Valsalva. I have worked for ten years on mastering VTO, but seem unable to do it.

A.

I find I can equalize my ears effectively by simply exhaling through my nose to equalize my mask.

Interesting how people differ. I guess much of it has to do with how things are structurally with the passages in your head. I recall that is why we have singers with so many varied tone qualities.

I warm up with Lowry before I even hit the water...then it's Toynbee. Valsalva has never worked for me. The downside of Toynbee is it can trap gas for me and make me queezy....usually burping it off upon surfacing. I'm getting better with frenzel it works some times. My ears seem to be loosening up over time.

Diving I usually use the Valsalva, however I found that for chamber compression yawning worked well for me especially when getting blown down quickly, been a while though

I also use the yawn method when flying.

I don't use any of these methods. I just exhale slightly into the mask and my ears clear.

Usually Valsalva but I use VTO if I am already at depth or not descending much. I have over equalized with Valsalva some days. I have also used VTO and grabbed the top of my ear lobe and pulled upwards. I will also get a bit vertical at times, tilt my head back and wiggle my jaw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom