DIR- Generic Which gloves for drygloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
trying out SB power:

I'm using dry gloves all year round (wrist seals always leak).

usually I use Showa 660 - but I found 2 problems over the years:

1. They stick - inner liner simply smells like death after 1-2 dives.
2. When winter strikes here - sizing is terrible when I need to use undergloves.

looking for something else - I prefer to have a separate liner so I can wash it.
any recommendations? I saw Showa 874R for example, or anything else anyone can recommend?

Thank you,
Matan.

I dive the Si-Tech Glove Lock Dry Glove System and love them. The only thing is that you have to make sure that cuff is seated correctly when you install the seal, or else the cuff will leak a little. Other than that one issue they have worked like a charm.

I dive the Si-Tech Glove Lock Dry Glove System and love them. The only thing is that you have to make sure that cuff is seated correctly when you install the seal, or else the cuff will leak a little. Other than that one issue they have worked like a charm.

I use Si-Tech antares - zero leaks as longs as you leave enough glove so no tention on the rings.

my Q was about the glove itself - AFAIK what sitech provides are basically Showas 660 or similar - i.e. have internal liner...

Thanks,
Matan.

Showa 720. They are nitrile, not pvc like the 660s. They stretch better and are cut and scratch resistant. I've worn the same pair for nearly a year and they still look brand new. I wear Xeotherm gloves inside. The 720s are also a lot easier to get onto ring systems than pvc gloves.

Which drysuit do you have? I highly recommend throwing the Antares oval rings in the trash and getting some Ultima rings. You won't have to worry about reaching for anything or popping the gloves off.

Showa 720. They are nitrile, not pvc like the 660s. They stretch better and are cut and scratch resistant. I've worn the same pair for nearly a year and they still look brand new. I wear Xeotherm gloves inside. The 720s are also a lot easier to get onto ring systems than pvc gloves.

Which drysuit do you have? I highly recommend throwing the Antares oval rings in the trash and getting some Ultima rings. You won't have to worry about reaching for anything or popping the gloves off.

I have a gravity zero (DUI copy) suit - Antares is actually quite good.
only issue was not leaving enough "slack" on the glove when attaching to the plastic rings. once that's done I've had zero leaks (~5 years, about 100 dives a year).

my issue is with the gloves themselves - they smell - I ordered the 720 like you recommended let's hope they're better.

I'd rather source something w/o a liner, so I can wear a light underglove (and wash it after dives).

Thank you,
Matan.

not surprised you stink wearing drygloves almost in the tropics lol :p

any latex dishwashing glove, turn them inside out so the white side is out.
then wear the thinnest liner you can find

not surprised you stink wearing drygloves almost in the tropics lol :p

any latex dishwashing glove, turn them inside out so the white side is out.
then wear the thinnest liner you can find

sadly can't avoid it - seals (silicone/latex/neoprene) just don't work and I'm always wet up to my elbows after dives.
at some point I got sick of it and moved to dry gloves - no issues since except my hands smell like death after every dive. it's that internal liner of the showa 660 that's doing it...

also it gets cold here in winter.
when you're used to 28C of water, 17C is quite cold :) especially if the dive is ~100 minutes.

Thanks,
Matan.

trying out SB power:

I'm using dry gloves all year round (wrist seals always leak).

usually I use Showa 660 - but I found 2 problems over the years:

1. They stick - inner liner simply smells like death after 1-2 dives.
2. When winter strikes here - sizing is terrible when I need to use undergloves.

looking for something else - I prefer to have a separate liner so I can wash it.
any recommendations? I saw Showa 874R for example, or anything else anyone can recommend?

Thank you,
Matan.

been using 660s for years without much troubles, just turn them inside out after diving so they have a chance to dry. for the fit what exactly is the issue? you could try to go one size up for thick undergloves? dishwasing gloves like marigolds rip way too easily in my opinion

I use the Santi latex gloves. I was sceptical at first, but after about 5 years of using them I'm very happy with them. It's worth using some talc on the outside when you out them away to avoid them getting a bit sticky.

HTH
John

so - took the Showa 720 to a dive:

gloves are flexible, but:

one of them leaked - not that durable and I suspect it slides of the ring (was really wayyyy to easy to insert into the glove rings).

so, Showa 660 still the most durable (my last pair help 5 years no issues), but they smell....

can anyone recommend something better?

Thank you,
Matan.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom