Which Gopro Version To Buy Used For Low-res Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have not used a GoPro before, and I would like to pick up a used one on the cheap just to take vids and stills of myself and dive buddy to critique ourselves when we practice skills. So, features like a higher-resolution sensor are not important. Which version should I look for to give me the most bang for the buck? I suspect any version would suffice, but I don't want to buy one that will give me trouble. There seem to be plenty of older versions on eBay.

The answer mainly depends on lighting/water quality. In blue water, it really doesn't matter. In lake or green water where light levels fade fast, you'll probably want something more recent as the newer models have better low light capability. One item you do need to factor in is that the older models (Hero HD and HD2) with the domed housing require a special flat glazed dive housing to focus. These are expensive and hard to come by and may push the overall cost above the cost of a Hero3 in its regular, dive capable housing. As far as the Hero3 models, the Hero3 Black was the only real Hero3 model. The Hero3 Silver is nothing more than a rehoused Hero2 (HD2) and the Hero3 White is just a rehoused Hero HD, both of which had same limitations regarding low light situations that their predecessor had. Ultimately, it all comes down to your needs. Personally, I wouldn't go lower that a Hero3 Silver. But then again, do you really need a real GoPro as new clones are half the price of used GoPros and if image quality doesn't matter, that may be the more cost effective route.

The answer mainly depends on lighting/water quality. In blue water, it really doesn't matter. In lake or green water where light levels fade fast, you'll probably want something more recent as the newer models have better low light capability. One item you do need to factor in is that the older models (Hero HD and HD2) with the domed housing require a special flat glazed dive housing to focus. These are expensive and hard to come by and may push the overall cost above the cost of a Hero3 in its regular, dive capable housing. As far as the Hero3 models, the Hero3 Black was the only real Hero3 model. The Hero3 Silver is nothing more than a rehoused Hero2 (HD2) and the Hero3 White is just a rehoused Hero HD, both of which had same limitations regarding low light situations that their predecessor had. Ultimately, it all comes down to your needs. Personally, I wouldn't go lower that a Hero3 Silver. But then again, do you really need a real GoPro as new clones are half the price of used GoPros and if image quality doesn't matter, that may be the more cost effective route.

Thanks. I guess I need to search for threads here on the clones. It doesn't matter to me whether it's GoPro brand, but I do hear you about the low-light capability. We practice in a lake.

Addendum: My wife now says "wouldn't it be great if we could also use it to capture pics of nudibranchs so I can identify them later." She's a nudi nut. But we are very reluctant photographers--we have long said we prefer to just observe with our eyes and not be encumbered with a camera. So, supposing I changed my requirements to something that could accept a macro lens attachment, now what is the oldest GoPro version I should be looking at acquiring in used condition?

It occurs to me that maybe capturing the requisite color subtlety to identify nudis is not feasible without filters? And lights?! Should I best stick with our original plan for the time being?

For close up (and out to 3 to 5 feet) use lights. Getting distortion free (blur fix) housings for Hero 2's and earlier may be difficult (the older housings were waterproof, but didn't focus clearly underwater). The current batch of close up lenses may fit the base hero...but you'd have to double check this.

One of the Sea and Sea cameras may be useful if you're interested in macro and/or still photos---but I have no experience with them.

I started off doing exactly what you're doing - deciding I only wanted some basic level video and looking for the minimum investment needed to get that. So I bought a Hero HD and accessories from a friend for $50. It took about a month before I wanted more, more, more. Better color, higher resolution. Ended up getting a Hero4 Silver with filters. Took another couple of months then had to add tray and lights. I found that once I got into it, my needs and desires kept expanding.

I recently picked up the base GoPro Hero, and as 3D mentioned, it will suit your needs just fine.

I started off doing exactly what you're doing - deciding I only wanted some basic level video and looking for the minimum investment needed to get that. So I bought a Hero HD and accessories from a friend for $50. It took about a month before I wanted more, more, more. Better color, higher resolution. Ended up getting a Hero4 Silver with filters. Took another couple of months then had to add tray and lights. I found that once I got into it, my needs and desires kept expanding.

I can't bring myself to "Like" this. But I suspect you are right.

At the present time, I can't afford $1000 on a camera system. I will probably give the basic entry-level Hero a try, and stick to my originally stated needs: recording our practice sessions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom